Password Reset Email Not Received

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Reset Email Not Received

I installed 2.2.1 last week (upgraded from 2.0.3) and everything seems fine except...

When a user has lost their password, they click on the "lost password" link, enter their email address, and click the button. They soon receive an email that says, basically, "click this link to reset your password and the new password will be emailed to you." So far, so good.

However, when they click the link, they are taken to the login screen. Nothing is displayed to indicate that an email has been sent to them containing the new password. And the email never arrives.

I've tried it several times with my own test user account, and have had no luck. Any ideas? Here's a sample of what the link looks like:

.../member.php?a=pwd&u=25&i=85818324

Any ideas?
    Wally

More Clues, but Still Doesn't Work

I've done some more investigating and have uncovered some more clues as to why the "reset my password" bit isn't working.
    1. The user receives the email telling them to reset their password by clicking on the link.
    2. The user clicks on the link, but they are taken to the login screen. Nothing is displayed to indicate that an email has been sent to them containing the new password.
    3. If the user logs in at this screen, they are shown the screen that tells them that their password has been reset and the new email has been sent to them.
    4. Shortly, they receive the promised email with the new password.

Obviously this isn't too useful, since it requires the user to know their password -- which was the whole point of the exercise. Why would it be requiring them to login before it would reset their password?

Has anyone else tried the new "reset my password" bit in 2.2.1 yet? Does it work for other people?

Comment

The password resetting feature has worked fine for my two forums so far. No complaints.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Could the lack of guest access be a problem?

Wrong answer, Steve! You're supposed to say, "I had the same problem, and here's how you fix it."

One thing I just thought of that is perhaps a bit different about my forum in comparison to others. Because our forum is an internal forum on our organization's intranet, only open to employees, we don't allow anyone to access anything unless they're logged in. As a guest, the only thing you can see is the login screen. It occurs to me that this is probably rare. Is it possible that this is a bug in 2.2.1 that only effects those of us who run closed forums?

Comment

Re: Could the lack of guest access be a problem?

Originally posted by Wally Hartshorn
          Wrong answer, Steve! You're supposed to say, "I had the same problem, and here's how you fix it."
          Actually the only reason I responded at all is because you asked if anyone else had this problem. Next time just tell me what the acceptable answers are.

Your theory about closed forums is a good one, excpt that one of my forums is also closed to guests. I honestly don't know what the problem is. All I can suggest is that you make sure your email templates are reverted. Perhaps this will fix the problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Re: Re: Could the lack of guest access be a problem?

Your theory about closed forums is a good one, excpt that one of my forums is also closed to guests.
            Hmmm.. Just to make sure we're both using the same terms, I'm using "forums" to refer to the whole board, not just a particular, uh... er, "forum" within the board, if you know what I mean. (What is the right terminology?)

In other words, under "User Groups -> Modify", if I select "Unregistered / Not Logged In", I would see that "Can view board" = "No", "Can view members info (including other's profiles and members list)" = "No", "Can view others' threads" = "No", etc.

In short, guests can't see anything except the login screen. Is that the situation for you? (The proper answer is, "Oh, no, I was just talking about an individual forum within the board. Your idea must be correct!" )

Comment

Yep, exact same situation. One of my sites is completely closed to guest viewing any of the forums or even the forum home page. As with you, they get the login screen when they try to access the site. (Sorry I know it's not what you wanted to hear! )

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Apparantly, Steve has not been paying attention to the bug report forums.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=34722

That should fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Clinard
                  Apparantly, Steve has not been paying attention to the bug report forums.
                  D'OH!!

Actually I do remember that now, but it's been a long time since I checked the bugs forum. Good catch!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

That fixed the problem! Bravo! However...

I downloaded 2.2.1 on January 3. The fixed global.php file was supposedly posted on November 28. Did it never make it into the 2.2.1 distribution file?

(And could someone explain to me why they continue to make multiple versions of the same release, without bumping up the version number?)

Comment

They didn't make multiple versions with the same number which is why it's not in the 2.2.1 download. This fix will be in 2.2.2 sometime this month.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I just did the UBB to vBulletin conversion and a boatload of members are having the very same problem. They click the e-mail to reset their password and they never get the e-mail with the new password.

What can I do?
                        3rdgen.org - Real Cars, Real People, Real Fast!

Comment

Go to this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=34722

and you'll find instructions about a change you need to make to global.php . Do that, and it should work fine.

Comment

Thanks Wally! Do you know if this will be fixed in the next release?
                            3rdgen.org - Real Cars, Real People, Real Fast!

Comment

All known bugs with fixes will have those fixes in the next version - 2.2.2. My understanding is that this will be available sometime this month.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X