Downgrading from 2.2.1 to 2.03?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downgrading from 2.2.1 to 2.03?

I absolutely love vbulletin and have used it for a very long time, but I've never had problems like I've had with version 2.2.1! I even waited for a while to upgrade, since 2.2.0 seemed to have a few bugs. I've tried for 3-4 weeks now to keep my forums going with version 2.2.1, but time and again the server gets overloaded and crashes. I don't have any hacks installed either.

I've been over and over all of the settings in admin, the mysql settings, the server settings, as well as the bug fix and database optimization threads here. Everything I can think of- I've looked at settings and code till my eyes are about to bug out. I see other vbulletin communities with large amounts of traffic having the same problems I do- lots of problems with the search indexes, email notification, and server processes running wild and not shutting down.

So I want to downgrade to 2.03, since that version was very stable on my site. I'm wondering what the easiest way to do this is, since I know the passwords are encrypted in 2.2.1 but not in 2.03. I wish I still had a backup of 2.03- I'm kicking myself for that! Is there a way to downgrade from 2.2.1 and reconstruct the passwords without encryption?

I'm thinking of doing a fresh install of 2.03 on a separate database, so nothing in the current one will get messed up if the downgrade doesn't work. I will be copying the info over instead of overwriting anything. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I have always enjoyed vbulletin, and I appreciate hard work the developers put into the product, as well as the moderators who run the community here. I really don't mean to complain, but I am extremely frustrated with the problems I've had with 2.2.1.

Thanks,
    Kim
    Last edited by TigerLily; Mon 7th Jan '02, 1:17pm.

At the very least you will have to assign every one of your users new passwords since the encryption used is one way.

Comment

Re: Downgrading from 2.2.1 to 2.03?

Originally posted by TigerLily
      I absolutely love vbulletin and have used it for a very long time, but I've never had problems like I've had with version 2.2.1! I even waited for a while to upgrade, since 2.2.0 seemed to have a few bugs. I've tried for 3-4 weeks now to keep my forums going with version 2.2.1, but time and again the server gets overloaded and crashes. I don't have any hacks installed either.

I've been over and over all of the settings in admin, the mysql settings, the server settings, as well as the bug fix and database optimization threads here. Everything I can think of- I've looked at settings and code till my eyes are about to bug out. I see other vbulletin communities with large amounts of traffic having the same problems I do- lots of problems with the search indexes, email notification, and server processes running wild and not shutting down.

So I want to downgrade to 2.03, since that version was very stable on my site. I'm wondering what the easiest way to do this is, since I know the passwords are encrypted in 2.2.1 but not in 2.03. I wish I still had a backup of 2.03- I'm kicking myself for that! Is there a way to downgrade from 2.2.1 and reconstruct the passwords without encryption?

I'm thinking of doing a fresh install of 2.03 on a separate database, so nothing in the current one will get messed up if the downgrade doesn't work. I will be copying the info over instead of overwriting anything. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I have always enjoyed vbulletin, and I appreciate hard work the developers put into the product, as well as the moderators who run the community here. I really don't mean to complain, but I am extremely frustrated with the problems I've had with 2.2.1.

Thanks,
      Kim

Without knowing exactly what problems are occuring, I suggest just doing a FRESH install of 2.2.1 and not install 2.0.3 (which was more buggy than 2.2.1).

Do a backup of your forums (and the php files if you did some hacks)
      Clear you database (or delete it if its easier)
      Upload all original files from 2.2.1 installation, and run the install (be sure that you re-created the DB if you deleted it).

Most of the time if its "not working" right, it means the upgrade went wrong somewhere. A fresh install of the latest version might be a better solution.

Then through ssh, telnet or phpmyAdmin, you can run your backup to get all your values and threads back in.
      There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

I'm afraid that will make no difference, as the values in the database are what makes up the installation. Any bad settings/problems in the old database will likely be carried over to the new database.

Comment

Well, then only back up the important information (no templates, no color changes, no edited templates) from the tables in the db

Just the Forum information and the user information, threads, and posts. This will take some time, but if anything was modded (ie templates) then backing up the info you only need shouldn't hurt the new db.

I've had problems and only backed up what i needed and reinstalled fine without any of the old or new problems arising.
          There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X