Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS:

Thats complete BS that they have to restart MySQL, I run a hosting business, and never need to do that... We've never had MySQL crash on us, Bind yes, but we expect that...... But not MySQL....

Comment

Yes I have cpanel! What would I ask my host to do to let emailing from my bulletin board system?

I don't know how much bandwidth I have been using...not that much. We just launched the site on the 22nd of Dec. How much do you charge? What are your packages?

Comment

We're not allowed to advertise here... Thats why I hardly bring up what I do...

Tell your host, that they will need to recompile PHP completely to make the mail() function work, its a problem with Cpanel, that the maker knows, and thats his fix.....

I doubt they will fix this, but you can ask......

Beside, it wouldn't be right for me to slam another host, and then post my link up.....

Comment

Originally posted by importmix
          The reason the cron is set for every 10 mins to ensure 100% uptime.

If we set the cron for every 24 hour period, MYsql would possibly be down for large amounts of unnecessary periods of time.
          This is damning evidence indeed. The only reason MySQL would be down at all is if they don;t know how to configure the server in the first place. Do yourself a favor and find another host before you run into some serious problems.

By the way, what do you think is going to happen to your database if it's being written to when they restart MySQL? Unless you want to deal with database corruption on a regular basis then I suggest you run - don't walk - to find a competent host!

I hate to slam a host like this, but my first priority is to the vB customer. Good luck!
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

This is what I asked them:
            I have a concern about you restarting MySQL every 15 minutes. What is going to happen to my database if it's being written to when we restart MySQL? Am I going to deal with database corruption on a regular basis???

This is what they said:
            After reviewing your support ticket I have come to the understanding that you are having some trouble with the script used to restart MYsql on your server.

The script you are referring to will only restart MYsql if MYsql has stopped.

Comment

But earlier you posted they set the cron to restart it every 10 minutes. Which is it?

Regardless, the fact that MySQL is being restarted so frequently is an indication on a poorly configured server. It doesn't really matter if they do it on a regular basis or just when it goes down. The fact is it shouldn't be going down to begin with - certainly not as frequently as your server seems to be.

As I said, if you want to stay with this host you're going to need a lot of luck!

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yeah, I just posted what they said. I guess the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Comment

OK, now I am getting this error:

Link-ID == false, connect failed
                  mysql error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111)

mysql error number: 2002

Date: Monday 07th of January 2002 01:21:00 PM
                  Script: /mb/index.php
                  Referer:

Is it still a MySQl down problem? "Link-ID == false, connect failed" is a new part of the error I haven't seen before.

Comment

You do need to find a better host. Take a look at the one I use. It offers awesome support, and I have rarely had any problems. If you do have a problem, they will fix it as quick as they can.

http://www.aletiahosting.com/hosting/

Features
                    Monthly: $9.95/mo
                    Annually (prepay 12 months) $7.95/mo
                    Server Disk Space 200 MB
                    Monthly Data Transfer 10 GB
                    Dedicated Static IP Address Yes

These are just a few of the features, they have a lot of other options on their essential plan. They also have other plans if you need more space or bandwidth.

I reccomend them. I run 3 web sites, including my message boards with aletia.

Comment

Originally posted by importmix
                      OK, now I am getting this error:

Link-ID == false, connect failed
                      mysql error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111)

mysql error number: 2002

Date: Monday 07th of January 2002 01:21:00 PM
                      Script: /mb/index.php
                      Referer:

Is it still a MySQl down problem? "Link-ID == false, connect failed" is a new part of the error I haven't seen before.
                      that error means mysql either

1. went down
                      2. or the mysql.sock file was wiped

mysql shouldn't be going down like that.. i'd find a new host
                      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

IN SUMMARY ( cause its been said more than 20 times i think in this thread)

FIND a new host.
                        There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
                          Do yourself a favor and find another host before you run into some serious problems.
                          Yeah, what I said!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

ok, found a new host and i have installed vbulletin. Now how do I import my vbulletin.sql to the new server? I can't even get to the admin page without going back to the old host. I only have an IP address...the name hasn't changed.

Comment

Good move! This should help:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X