Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help!

I keep on getting this error message on my message board off and on. then my host needs to restart MySQL. Can someone tell me what is causing this error?

Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111) in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/mb/admin/db_mysql.php on line 32

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
    Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

I RIGHT CLICKED AND VIEW SOURCE:

<!-- Database error in vBulletin Control Panel :

Link-ID == false, connect failed
    mysql error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111)

mysql error number: 2002

Date: Friday 04th of January 2002 04:27:31 PM
    Script: /mb/admin/
    Referer:
    -->
    Last edited by importmix; Fri 4 Jan '02, 12:34pm.

Are you sure MySql is up and running?

Comment

Yes it has been and the host changed the cron that restarts MySQL from every 15 min. to 10 min.

My tech guy just told me:

"You're not having problems with the missing sock. If you were the page wouldn't come up at all. I think the problem your having is when the socket get stopped and restarted under a different process id."

The Message Board has been up. It just keeps on going up and down the last 3 days. But today has been really bad.

Comment

if you mysql server is crashing all the time get your host or if you can do it

view your mysql error logs for ideas as to why it's crashing hence restarting
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by importmix
          Yes it has been and the host changed the cron that restarts MySQL from every 15 min. to 10 min.
          Every 10 minutes!!! Why on Earth would they need to restart MySQL this often? Sheesh - no wonder you're having problems.

Frankly I would seriously question the competence of a host that does something like this.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
            Every 10 minutes!!! Why on Earth would they need to restart MySQL this often? Sheesh - no wonder you're having problems.

Frankly I would seriously question the competence of a host that does something like this.
            doh mis read that i though you meant your host set you mysql to restart 10 minutes after a crash ..

if they're restarting mysql every 10 minutes... just find another web host ..... seriously!
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

They changed the cron from 15 to 10 today and there have been more up and down times. Is that why? How often should they restart MySQL on a shared hosting server?

FYI: I am hosted with aitcom.net

Comment

This is what my host just said:

"I understand that your mysql keeps on going down.

The reason why your mysql is not running correctly is because the database is not properly being closed. This error is a result of not closing the mysql connection before ending the program.

Please modify your database to include a closed connection. If you have any further questions then please let us know and somebody will be able to assist you."

How do I do that?

Comment

1. mysql restarting every 10 minutes is the cause of the error you have

2. mysql can go running for days or even months if properly configured

3. to turn off what they described as persistent connections edit config.php and make sure pconnect = 0

Comment

4. Get a host that knows how to run a server......

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
                      1. mysql restarting every 10 minutes is the cause of the error you have

2. mysql can go running for days or even months if properly configured

3. to turn off what they described as persistent connections edit config.php and make sure pconnect = 0
                      Thank you everyone for your help! I changed the config.php (saved an original copy) and I guess I'll just have to sit back and see what happens. I will let you know...

Comment

Prohacker's right. Sticking with this host is only going to provide you grief! Find a host that knows how to run a server.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I asked them why they set a cron to restart MySQL every 10 minutes:

"Thank you for hosting with AIT,

After reviewing your support ticket I have come to the understanding that you are having some trouble with the cron job on your server.

The reason the cron is set for every 10 mins to ensure 100% uptime.

If we set the cron for every 24 hour period, MYsql would possibly be down for large amounts of unnecessary periods of time.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or comments by submitting a ticket at the following url:

http://support.aitcom.net/support/

Thank You

Jack Mclean
                          Advanced Internet Technologies
                          2 shift B Team Technical Support Manager"

Do you guys know of another start up hosting company? I currently get:

unix server
                          30 gig transfer/month
                          200 megs storage
                          unlimited pop accounts
                          db

for $18.95/month

Comment

I HAVE ONE MORE QUESTION:

My mail system doesn't seem to work: "send to friend", "send password", "email _________" (I have hidden user's emails), "send email when someone replies to thread", I don't get any error emails either....

I already asked my host if they let [email protected] emails thru...they do. I have been testing on my non-free email. Where are the settings for email in the .php files? Is there a specific place I should change the code?

Just asking for your help one more time.

Comment

Your mail problem is also your host problem..... Its how PHP is setup.... I'm guessing you have cpanel.....

I know of a host, but I'm kinda biased.. But not for 30 gb a month, how can they pay for the bandwidth at that price????

How much are you using now? For a startup, thats alot of xfer....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X