Some hotmail/yahoo users don't get activation email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some hotmail/yahoo users don't get activation email

Seems some hotmail or yahoo users (others like that) don't get the activation email. In looking further into this I notice that on my linux box when I send them email with my own account (same server and domain) they get it but when vbulletin sends the email it gets blocked. The maillog file shows the ctladdress as "nobody" for the ones vbulletin sends but has a return address for the ones I send on my computer. I think the hotmail flags this as spam since there is no name under the ctladdress being sent.

Any idea on a fix to include a ctladdress to see if this would fix the problem. Seems to affect 5% of our users attempting to register and I would imagine it is affecting many using vbulletin.
    Marc
    -------

i found some hotmail users sign up and don't check their activation emails etc... that's why i banned free web mail from my forums..
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

True that happens but not in this case. Here they send me an email from hotmail saying they never got the email. I reply to them saying I will resend it. I then go into the cp and resend the codes. Mind you it's all to the same hotmail address. They reply to my email saying I will resend the code but never receive the one sent from the system to the same address. Has happened with over 50 users now. I check my sendmail "maillog" and the difference between the 2 emails I send from my computer and the one the linux server sends are the "ctladdress" field says "nobody" and for mine it has my real email address.

Anybody know how to get the headers complete on the activation email so it shows the address instead of just "nobody"
      Marc
      -------

Comment

I have that problem with AOL users, They never receive the activation email, At first i thought it was just the AOL users But since i have a AOL too , I created a test account with AOL account and it took about 9 hours to receive the email, sometimes it never came at all so i had to manually change it in CP to registered..
        Cobbcountyforums.com

Comment

The Junk Protectionn filter in Hotmail stops the board emails coming though.
          Email: [email protected]
          Site: Under Construction

Comment

Understand that but....when a user emails me and I email them back to the same email addy they get it. The board is not including something that is getting flagged. Looking at the logs it may be the return address or from field as the "ctladdress" shows it as "nobody" instead of my email address. If somebody could give me the variable to add to register.php I could add it and test it out. If it works we can post the bug fix as this kills 5% of users from activating for all vbulletin users.
            Marc
            -------

Comment

I think if you could modify this code to show the reply to/from when the email is sent that these users would receive it as it would cause the "ctladdress" when sending to not be populated with "nobody" but rather the real email addy.

PHP Code:
              mail($parentemail,$subject,$message,"From: \"$bbtitle Mailer\" <$webmasteremail>"); 
              Does anyone know what to add in order to do this? I think it might be a "-f" flag or something but the php documentation was too cryptic for me to figure it out.
              Marc
              -------

Comment

try this

replace:

PHP Code:
                mail($parentemail,$subject,$message,"From: \"$bbtitle Mailer\" <$webmasteremail>"); 
                with:

PHP Code:
                mail($parentemail,$subject,$message,"From: $bbtitle Mailer"); 
                You're my Prince of Peace
                And I will live my life for You

Comment

Well, the above didn't work so I did a little more digging. Seems the problem is apache running on linux as user nobody. When vbulletin sends email it ends up being from user "nobody" and [email protected]

Does anyone know how to change this behaviour so the fields become populated with the real email address and domain? The "From" code in vbulletin does fill in one of the from areas of the actual email but not in the other parts of the email header which aol, hotmail, yahoo all flag as spam.
                  Marc
                  -------

Comment

There is now an SMTP hack over at vbulletin.org to solve this problem...With php on linux/apache the php application uses the mail function which sends the headers minus the reply-to header and the from as "nobody" or whatever user you have apache running as. Hotmail, AOL and some other spam filters catch this and toss it.

It is better to use the SMTP routine instead of the mail function so you can set your headers and avoid this problem. I have about 100 users out of 1600 members who never got the activation email from this problem so far.
                    Marc
                    -------

Comment

Can anyone point me to the solution, as i also have the same problem, most users at a *@hotmail.com address do not get the activation email as the apache email deamon send the email as [email protected]

I searched Vbulletin.org but could not find any hack to fix this.

Comment

I think on vbulletin.org somebody wrote the SMTP hack a week or two ago and it supposed to solve some of this problem...haven't tried it yet but if you do and it works please let us know!

Marc
                        Marc
                        -------

Comment

If i find the post on vbulletin.org i will post it as a link in this thread, Do you have the link?

Comment

Here it is...let me know if it works as I don't have much time to install and play with it in case it doesn't work for this problem.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...highlight=smtp

Thanks!
                            Marc
                            -------

Comment

Thanks, I will install it tommorow and will post here and let you know how it went.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X