Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[What Is This:] I need clarification on this email function in vB.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [What Is This:] I need clarification on this email function in vB.

Basically, I want my users to be able to use the "send this thread to a friend" function BUT I don't want to have the board sending my users e-mail noticifications since it eats up my bandwidth. Right now I have it set to "no" to converse processing on my server and db.

If I turn this on what will happen?

Email counts against your bandwidth? Never heard of a host charging for that.

Anyway, Send Email to Friends is not Email Notification but if they use it a lot then you would have the same bandwidth issues. Probably more since they can write their own messages of any length.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

You know...I don't know if they charge me for that...I just assumed...Ok...My bad...I know I turned it off because the mail was being sent out on my server.

I'll write to my new host, RACKSPACE, and ensure they don't charge me for e-mails.

Comment

I wrote to Rackspace and guess what they wrote back with:

Hi there,
        mail does count as part of bandwitdh. We charge for all data that leaves your server and passed out of the swithc the server is connected to going out to the internet.

If you have any further questions then please let us know.

Regards,
        Clifford
        Rackspace Customer Support

Good thing I kept that function off. How does Sitepoint get around this?

Comment

When you have a dedicated server (as it sounds like you do) you pay for all bandwidth generated by your server, including email, site traffic, FTP, etc. On most shared or virtual hosts, you are only charged for site traffic bandwidth.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X