GMT Offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMT Offset

The GMT offset in the vB Options page is used to adjust the time of submitted user content to be as if it was taking place in the GMT time zone, correct?

offset is used to adjust the default vB time to align it with the users timezone
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

ya. so if i submit a thread or create a user account or something at 8:00 GMT, in the system it will say i submitted the thing at 8, even though for the time zone the server is in, it may have been 4. right?

Comment

well for example if the server's timezone is

Hong Kong GMT +8

the vB forum admin sets in vB admin control panel the date/time default to GMT+8 the offset from the server's timezone

So if i'm an Aussie i'd set mine to GMT +10
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

dude look you're obviously not technical enough to answer this question, please have someone else do it.

Comment

Originally posted by certindex
            dude look you're obviously not technical enough to answer this question, please have someone else do it.
            ? what don't you understand.. was trying to explain it as simply as possible

all posts and threads get submitted into the system time/date stamped with what ever you have set in vB admin - vB options - date/time

the GMT offset in User CP - edit options just alters the date/time stamp of the posts for viewing preferences for the particular member

Comment

don't try to make things simple for me. with technically clued people that only confuses things. ok so look. if your server is in PST time zone your GMT offset is -8. so someone signs up or submits a thread or whatever at 2 PST (10 GMT). since the offset of the site is -8 it'll be put into the db like it happened at 10 GMT right?

Comment

don't try to make things simple for me. with technically clued people that only confuses things. ok so look. if your server is in PST time zone your GMT offset is -8. so someone signs up or submits a thread or whatever at 2 PST (10 GMT). since the offset of the site is -8 it'll be put into the db like it happened at 10 GMT right?
                the data such as thread or member rego date will be time/date stamped GMT -8 or whatever you set in vB admin - vB options - date/time

that's what mysql database will show

now if a guest viewed that submitted thread it will be dated GMT -8 (vB's default)

now if a member viewed that submitted thread without changing his default GMT off set it will be dated GMT -8

now if amember viewed that submitted thread with an GMT offset = 10 , then the thread will display GMT 10 time to the member

Comment

If you're going to be rude about it you can look elsewhere for answers.

Comment

if eva can't answer my question, that's not a problem. what i have a problem with is my time being wasted by someone not knowing how to answer a question i'm asking. i'm sure you can understand

Comment

Re: GMT Offset

The GMT offset in the vB Options page is used to adjust the time of submitted user content to be as if it was taking place in the GMT time zone, correct?
                      well i tried answering in many ways possible so let's try this one pertaining to your original question

GMT offset in vB options (in vB admin panel) is used to bring your server's time in alignment with GMT 0 so that a member's time display can be shown based on GMT timezone differences.

If all the above doesn't satisfy you then i don't think you'd hear anything remotely different from what i said from others

Comment

thanks for trying again. i actually already did my own test and found that vB stores content in the db relative to the time of the server, not GMT. the site's GMT offset is applied at display time. i personally think this is a horrible approach, but oh well.

Comment

Working...
                        X