Backing up for first time procedure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up for first time procedure.

Could someone explain the process of backing up if it's not through the control panel. I'm referring to telnet dumping or whatever that is. how do you perform that? what program would you use? Is that like ftp-ing? There are still some dummies like me out there who don't know. (at least i'd like to think i'm not alone.)
    Set a good example to a child.
    Visit www.jerrybuilt.com often.

You're not alone - there is still one other person who doesn't know how to do this.

Anyway, first you need to download a program to use Telnet or SSH. We recommend Putty. It's free and supports both Telnet and it's 'cousin' SSH (an encrypted version of Telnet).

After you've installed it, you need to enter your info to connect. 'Host Name' is usually your URL minus the 'www' part, although if this doesn't work you'll need to ask your host what your hostname is. If you host has specified that you must use SSH, click the 'SSH' radio button. Under 'Saved Sessions', in the box, type a name for this connection. Press Save, and then Open (at the bottom). In the future, just click on your Saved Session, click Load, then Open.

It'll pop up a new window; it may give a warning, just hit OK (or Yes, can't remember which it says). Type in your username, hit enter, type in your password, hit enter, and then you'll be at a prompt that looks something like this:

bash$

or

[email protected]:$

or something similar to one of those.

Type this:

mysqldump -uUSERNAME -p DATABASENAME > forumbackup.sql

Replace USERNAME and DATABASENAME with your correct information; it can be found in config.php for a memory refresher.

Hit enter after you type that, then enter your password (again from config.php) and hit Enter. Wait for a few seconds and it should eventually return you to the prompt (e.g. bash$). Assuming no errors, you're all set. You've got a backup, sitting in (most likely) the directory directly above your web root (e.g. your web root can be accessed on the web at http://www.mysite.com/ - on the server, this is probably actually a folder called public_html, and your backup is probably in the directory that contains the public_html directory).

That's it.

Comment

great support , thanks.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. really had no clue. just one thing, does this back-up take the place of what would be available through the control panel? or should i back up both? are they the same ? ( of course i'm not asking for myself, just for those people following this thread.)
      Set a good example to a child.
      Visit www.jerrybuilt.com often.

Comment

one note..

use --opt command with mysqldump to tell mysql not to load the whole mysql database into memory before backing up

i.e.

mysqldump --opt -uUSERNAME -p DATABASENAME > forumbackup.sql
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Re: great support , thanks.

Originally posted by geek
          Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. really had no clue. just one thing, does this back-up take the place of what would be available through the control panel? or should i back up both? are they the same ? ( of course i'm not asking for myself, just for those people following this thread.)
          when you do telnet backup remember to close your forum first..

telnet backup is the same as in vB admin panel and telnet backup is alot safer and secure way of ensuring the vB database is properly and completely backed up since vB admin panel backup can have php timeout resulting in an incomplete back up of your database
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X