Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tubedogg
    replied
    As Ethan alluded to, the Mark Read system currently works using cookies and not the database. There is one global lastvisit setting.

Leave a comment:

• ethank
    replied
    Re: mark as read useless?

Originally posted by doom9
    well.. not quite.. it works one way. If you read a forum if you want a forum to be shown as read you can do that.. but wouldn't the main use of that feature be that you don't miss any new posts? Say I go to my board at 10am, don't visit forum XY even though it has new posts then I return at 1pm.. if there have been no new posts to forum XY it will be marked as read even though I haven't actually visited the forum and there are still new messages that I have never seen. Why is the last visit value being taken to determine if a forum has new messages when we have the mark as read flags for the forums now?
    There is a hack (I wrote, natch) over at vbulletin.org that replaces the Mark Read with cookie thing with Mark Read using a database.

Ethan

Leave a comment:

• doom9
    started a topic mark as read useless?

mark as read useless?

well.. not quite.. it works one way. If you read a forum if you want a forum to be shown as read you can do that.. but wouldn't the main use of that feature be that you don't miss any new posts? Say I go to my board at 10am, don't visit forum XY even though it has new posts then I return at 1pm.. if there have been no new posts to forum XY it will be marked as read even though I haven't actually visited the forum and there are still new messages that I have never seen. Why is the last visit value being taken to determine if a forum has new messages when we have the mark as read flags for the forums now?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X