mark as read useless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mark as read useless?

well.. not quite.. it works one way. If you read a forum if you want a forum to be shown as read you can do that.. but wouldn't the main use of that feature be that you don't miss any new posts? Say I go to my board at 10am, don't visit forum XY even though it has new posts then I return at 1pm.. if there have been no new posts to forum XY it will be marked as read even though I haven't actually visited the forum and there are still new messages that I have never seen. Why is the last visit value being taken to determine if a forum has new messages when we have the mark as read flags for the forums now?
    Webmaster of www.doom9.org and community leader of forum.doom9.net

Re: mark as read useless?

Originally posted by doom9
    well.. not quite.. it works one way. If you read a forum if you want a forum to be shown as read you can do that.. but wouldn't the main use of that feature be that you don't miss any new posts? Say I go to my board at 10am, don't visit forum XY even though it has new posts then I return at 1pm.. if there have been no new posts to forum XY it will be marked as read even though I haven't actually visited the forum and there are still new messages that I have never seen. Why is the last visit value being taken to determine if a forum has new messages when we have the mark as read flags for the forums now?
    There is a hack (I wrote, natch) over at vbulletin.org that replaces the Mark Read with cookie thing with Mark Read using a database.

Ethan

Comment

As Ethan alluded to, the Mark Read system currently works using cookies and not the database. There is one global lastvisit setting.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X