Possible to cache only images?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to cache only images?

Some of my members are wondering if there is any way to allow the images associated with a message board (smilies, icons, etc.) to be cached by the browser, but not the actual content.
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    JJR512.com: Chat about anything!

Unless they changed their browser's settings this is how browser caching works by default.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

What browser setting allows only images to be cached?
      -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
      JJR512.com: Chat about anything!

Comment

Originally posted by wluke
        Unless they changed their browser's settings this is how browser caching works by default.
        I have searched high and low for this setting.

Please could you enlighten us.
        Email: [email protected]
        Site: Under Construction

Comment

Yeah I don't think IE and NS do this.

Comment

Hmm.. In Control Panel -> Internet Options -> General -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings, I have it set to "Every Visit to the Page" and all images are cached while the actual HTML and text isn't and is properly updated.

I haven't changed any other settings in regards to caching on my system and I am using Internet Explorer 6.0. I recall it working this way on Internet Explorer 5 and 5.5 as well.

If it didn't cache the images, downloading websites on a dial-up modem would be a pain. There is an initial delay on new sites that I visit as it caches each image and loads them but not on subsequent visits. On my dialup connection the front page of this forum and at SitePointForums load fast enough that I don't try to time them but I would guess it is a couple of seconds. It would be much longer if the images weren't cached.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Some images seem to cache for me but a lot (especially here) don't.

I have mine set to 'Every time you start IE'.

Comment

My settings are exactly the same to wluke's and mine caches a lot of html files.
                Email: [email protected]
                Site: Under Construction

Comment

Working...
                X