Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help: my vBulletin is crashing a user's computer - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help: my vBulletin is crashing a user's computer - why?

I just got a note from someone who I definitely don't want to lose from my forums:

Since I found out about this forum I try to come as often as I can, and contribute to as many threads as possible. But I have a problem with this web; for some reason my computer crashes very often when I'm viewing it. I even try to save one of the pages and view it off-line, and I still have the problem.

I just wanted to mention it in case that you know of some other people with the same problem. I login into similar forums quite often and this is the only one where I find these "technical" problems.

Thanks for your attention, and keep on with such a nice job
    He is using Internet Explorer 6 on Windows 98SE - but for the life of me I cannot figure out why my forum is causing his computer to crash. He also pointed out two other vBulletin forums that he is a member of that do not cause his computer to crash - what is different about mine?

Hi Jeff,

Here you have all the requested information:

1) Browser: Internet Explorer Version: 6.0.2600.0000IC, Code intensity:
    128-bit
    Running under Windows 98SE

2) What I mean about crashing, is that I'm viewing a board, scrolling
    up/down the page, and the it will stop. I won't get any error message at
    all, the mouse icon will still work (it moves in respond to the mouse, but
    it doesn't change its shape when going on url for example); I won't be able
    to use any of the botons at the bottom of the page becasue the mouse doesn't
    respond to the click's; I won't be able to reboot by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del,
    I'll have to do it manually (power off/on).

3) I've always have this problem when browsing this forum. The first times I
    didn't think it was just with this page, but after testing a few times, it
    is this page. As I mentioned before, it also happens when I'm not on-line.

4) I'm a member of these two other forums:

http://216.194.68.55/rbarclay/forums/index.php

http://www.cprogramming.com/cboard/

And I don't have any problems at all when I use them.
    I've checked the site you mention, and it works as well; but maybe I was
    just lucky.

I hope this information is useful for you. I still want to use this forum,
    even if my systems keeps crashing every time. But of course, I'd prefer not
    to be affraid to have to reboot everytime. Thanks for your e-mail.
    Any ideas are appreciated as to why my forums are causing his computer to crash but not the other two vBulletin forums he mentions and what I should try.

Thanks.
    Boat Design & Boat Building Forums

how fast is his machine and how much memory does he have. And is he running system resource intensive programs while he is viewing your forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldfinger
      how fast is his machine and how much memory does he have. And is he running system resource intensive programs while he is viewing your forum?
      Yeah, or are your forums more resource intensive than the others?
      JTMON

Comment

Yeah, or are your forums more resource intensive than the others?
        I would think my forums are less resource intensive than the others. My forums are pretty much stock VB except that I've modified the templates slightly to eliminate an unused column and moved things around here and there a little bit. I'm going to run my pages through an html validator to be sure, but I've never seen IE choke even on a badly formed table. If it was Netscape that's what I would suspect, but so far I don't see anything wrong. I've tested my forums on two computers here with Opera 5, Opera 6, Netscape 4.7, Mozilla .94-.96, IE 5.0, IE 5.5, and IE 6.0 and have no problems at all with my forums. And my forums are smaller (less forums and less posts, and thus simpler tables) than the other two that are working fine for him.

Let's see - how hard would it be to download a stock vb template set and import them as a secondary template set (I don't want to lose all the changes I've made to my default templates) and then set this as the template for this user only? Before I do this, any other ideas what might be wrong?

http://boatdesign.net/forums
        Last edited by boatdesign; Wed 5 Dec '01, 12:37pm.

Comment

Originally posted by boatdesign

I would think my forums are less resource intensive than the others. My forums are pretty much stock VB except that I've modified the templates slightly to eliminate an unused column and moved things around here and there a little bit. I'm going to run my pages though an html validator to be sure, but I've never seen IE choke even on a badly formed table. If it was Netscape that's what I would suspect, but so far I don't see anything wrong. And my forums are smaller (less forums and less posts, and thus simpler tables) than the other two that are working fine for him.

Let's see - how hard would it be to download a stock vb template set and import them as a secondary template set (I don't want to lose all the changes I've made to my default templates) and then set this as the template for this user only? Before I do this, any other ideas what might be wrong?
          Well scratch my idea I have also experienced this slowdown when dragging the scrollbar vs clicking but never too the point where it freezes on me, wish I had more help for ya
          JTMON

Comment

woo i have IE 6.0 and your forums run GREAT on my computer. probably one of the fastest loading forums ive been too . It has to be the users computer and or his computer configuration.

Comment

Thanks everybody so far - I don't want to lose this user, so I really want to figure out exactly what is causing it though.

Right now I've disabled gzip compression as that was the only thing I can think of and I'm waiting to hear if that made any difference for him (unfortunately I can't find a way to disable gzip on a user by user basis so I've had to slow my forum down a little bit for everybody for now to see if that's what's causing it )

So far I myself have tested my forums on:
              Dual PIII 1Ghz Windows 2000 Pro SP2: IE 6.0, IE 5.5, Netscape 4.7, Mozilla .94, .95, .96, Opera 5.0, Opera 6.0
              Dual PII 450, Windows NT 4 SP5, IE 6.0, IE 5.5, Netscape 4.7, Netcape 6.1
              Dual PII 333, Windows 2000 Pro SP2: IE 6.0
              Dual PPro 200, RH Linux 7.0: Mozilla .95
              Single Pentium 100, Windows 98 first edition: IE 5.0

And I still can't reproduce this problem, but again, it is important to me to keep this user so I'm still trying.

Comment

add..

P4 1.4 ghz on Windows XP Professional , IE 6.0.2 works great.

Comment

also try and find out what his system specs are. so we can judge that. cause it has to have something to do with his system.

Comment

OK - I got a reply that he's using a Celeron 333 with probably 192 MB of Ram so I don't think that's a problem (I viewed my forum with a Pentium 100 with 48 megs of Ram, so a Celeron 333 shouldn't be the problem.)

Any other ideas?

I'm using a Celeron 333 with almost 200 megas of RAM, I don't think that's
                    the problem, because when I'm looking to this page, it's the only thing I do
                    at the time, as I know it's going to crash.

Comment

hmmm this is odd.. cause your board is REALLY fast for me. I'd be curious to see what his memory usage is.

Comment

What's the easiest way to see memory usage in windows 98SE? I've been using NT/2000 now since 1998 so I'm not very familar with 98...

Comment

http://daisyman.arsware.org/coolinfo/

This is a nifty little program that sits on your desktop. .

Shows memory usage, temps, and other info.

Comment

Very nice program! Thanks for the link.

I got a preliminary report back from him that with IE and Outlook open 152 megs out of 192 megs of RAM were being used. That seems like a lot, but he still didn't crash on the other vBulletin site he visited or on vBulletin.com for that matter.. He was then going to visit my site but I haven't heard back from him so I think my forums probably crashed his computer again

This is such an odd problem. I can't believe that a subtle difference in the html code like removing the moderator column from the forum list or moving the jump menu a tiny bit could be what is causing his IE browser to crash. Especially since he says it happens on many different pages. But it seems that the other two vBulletins he visits regularily have not crashed his broswer, and my forums regularly crashe his browser, but no one elses and I can't even duplicate the problem even on a 100mhz machine

Comment

With 98SE, sheesh could be a nasty registry key that is locking up. I would reccomend that he consult the Microsoft Gods for this one. They can figure out most problems, and give you a registry key to implement to fix (really handy when a virus eliminated my registry for the most part)

Or have him use Netscape -sin

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X