Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what changes do I make to the db when copying files via FTP to a new server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what changes do I make to the db when copying files via FTP to a new server?

I'm transferring my forums database and all vBulletin files to a new server, just by downloading everything to my hard drive and then uploading all the files to a new server. (I'm not that familiar with telnet and Unix yet, so I'm not following the procedures described in the 'moving servers' section in the online manual.)

Before I changed the server IP address in the config.php file, everything was working - so I know the files are all in the right place. Then I changed the server IP address (to the new address), system username, and system password in the config.php file. Now I have the following error message:

Warning: Host 'IP address here' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server in [fullpathhere]/db_mysql.php on line 38

So, what now? Is this a change I can make myself to the db? If so, how? And this would have to be done via telnet?

Is it possible to move to a new server using the way I described? I'm using a new domain, and wanted to make sure everything works correctly - so I didn't just transfer my existing domain. The new domain will be a duplicate of what's on the current domain.

If the database is staying on the server it is on, you will have to enable Remote Access in the MySQL Daemon. You can find out more about this at www.mysql.com.

If you are moving the database, please follow the instructions located in the technical section of the manual located at www.vbulletin.com/manual/.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I'm doing neither - I'm not moving the db or having it stay on the server it's on. I'm just creating a duplicate on the new server. So what do I need to do, in that case?

Comment

Does step 3 of the outlined procedures mean that I have to re-install everything on the new server? If so, how do I create a dummy database? Just by making up a database name, or what?

Comment

do the following assuming both vBs are same version (remember vB license is needed for each vB install/database)

1. close existing forum
          2. do a mysqldump of the forum to a backup.sql file
          3. tar and gzip up backup.sql to become backup.tar.gz
          4. download backup.tar.gz
          5. transfer backup.tar.gz to new server
          6. untar/unzip file to end up with backup.sql
          7. create new database on new server named vBnewdatabase
          8. import backup.sql into vBnewdatabase
          9. upload php files to new database
          10. point new config.php to vBnewdatabase

that's it

oh and send me a donation j/k
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
            do the following assuming both vBs are same version (remember vB license is needed for each vB install/database)

1. close existing forum
            2. do a mysqldump of the forum to a backup.sql file
            3. tar and gzip up backup.sql to become backup.tar.gz
            4. download backup.tar.gz
            5. transfer backup.tar.gz to new server
            6. untar/unzip file to end up with backup.sql
            7. create new database on new server named vBnewdatabase
            8. import backup.sql into vBnewdatabase
            9. upload php files to new database
            10. point new config.php to vBnewdatabase

that's it

oh and send me a donation j/k

Seriously, I couldn't follow more than half of what you wrote. I have a duplicate of the database on the new server, so apparently I don't need to bother with all the tar and gzip procedures. I wouldn't know how to anyway.

The vBulletin online documentation of procedures is not nearly extensive enough.

So, my question remains: now that I have a database on the new server, what do I do to activate it?

Comment

Edit your config.php to point to the database you set up and run install.php.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbi

Seriously, I couldn't follow more than half of what you wrote. I have a duplicate of the database on the new server, so apparently I don't need to bother with all the tar and gzip procedures. I wouldn't know how to anyway.

The vBulletin online documentation of procedures is not nearly extensive enough.

So, my question remains: now that I have a database on the new server, what do I do to activate it?
                well if it doesn't apply in your case it's still worth knowing for future occurences.. never hurts to learn something new each day

as to your question if you actually have the mysql database on your new server (not as a sql file) then wayne's instructions are correct just edit config.php to point to the database name on your new server
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

well if it doesn't apply in your case it's still worth knowing for future occurences.. never hurts to learn something new each day

And if the online documentation here was extensive enough, maybe I'd actually be able to learn all that. I've found that the online documentation is so extensive that I have to post about 5 times, it seems, to get a response to one question. I still don't have an answer as to why the attachments aren't working on my site (they used to - and as of the upgrade, they don't anymore. I didn't change any settings). I posted about this on the Tech Support forums, and I sent in a Support Ticket more than a week ago. No response. It's extremely annoying.

as to your question if you actually have the mysql database on your new server (not as a sql file) then wayne's instructions are correct just edit config.php to point to the database name on your new server

I uploaded the database as a .sql file. So what do you mean by "actually having the mysql database on the new server"?

Comment

Bobbi, there is a section in the manual called moving servers and it's a step by step process. It doesn't get any more extensive than that. If your database is already on the server, just follow steps 4 and 5, or just step 5 depending on how far you are already.

You said you had moved your database to the new server, did you just upload it into a directory or did you restore it to mysql? That will tell you which step you need to follow now.

Comment

i found your support ticket (no. 6122) dated Nov 20th and kevin/tubedogg replied on Nov 23rd asking for more info from you to diagnose the problem but i don't see any reply from your regarding the ticket ?

when you create a mysql database on your server via phpmyadmin or mysql client shell, files named with *.MYI corresponding to each mysql table name and frm extensions get placed in the mysql database directory

i.e. your search table has a file named search.MYI in the database directory

this is were mysql data is stored... and accessed from when using vBulletin.

now sql files are the result of backing up your forums.. basically MYI and FRM files and the data are placed into a single sql file for backing up. This file can not be accessed vBulletin unless imported back into a database

so in your case you need to follow those 9 steps i outlined well from step 7.

really it's not the job of vB support to teach you how to use mysql in every detail, that would be like a person buying a car and asking the car dealer to teach them how to drive it

advice take a read of Mysql Intro Tutorial http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/u/Tutorial.html and my links in my sig .. never hurts to arm yourself with knowledge that is useful to oneself

Comment

Eva2000, aren't those your instructions in the manual? I followed yours to the letter when I moved both of our databases to a new server, and it was a great help! Even a novice such as myself could follow it Thanks for doing a great job writing it.

Comment

i found your support ticket (no. 6122) dated Nov 20th and kevin/tubedogg replied on Nov 23rd asking for more info from you to diagnose the problem but i don't see any reply from your regarding the ticket ?

That's because I thought I would receive an email notification regarding responses to the support ticket, if/when responses are received. I've been busy looking for a new job and didn't know I had to go into the system to check there for any responses received.

really it's not the job of vB support to teach you how to use mysql in every detail, that would be like a person buying a car and asking the car dealer to teach them how to drive it

Not quite! You're the only ones marketing vBulletin, so far as I know. And most message boards out there (in the music world, anyway) don't yet use vBulletin because they don't understand it.

I'm a Web developer, so it's not like I'm new to the tech field. And I'm often quite busy just running the forums - including cleaning up the messes that result from occasional vBulletin glitches, such as the fact that in version 2.2.0, a banned moderator was able to access and use the Moderators' Control Panel to ban various users. I had to go into a 6,000-page server access log to track down these actions and to finally figure out that he was the one who did that. All this certainly slows me down from being able to learn new things such as all the procedures you're describing above.

I just need some help understanding the procedures.
                          Last edited by Bobbi; Sun 2 Dec '01, 12:26pm.

Comment

Originally posted by wluke
                            Edit your config.php to point to the database you set up and run install.php.

I did that. I reached step 4 of the install.php script. I now have the following error message:

Creating table access

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
                            Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

I emailed the Webmaster of my ISP. His response was:

There is an error within your backup, or the script. The database is setup correctly.

So, what now?
                            Last edited by Bobbi; Sun 2 Dec '01, 12:39pm.

Comment

What was the error in the email? This should have gone to you, assuming you put your email address in config.php.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X