Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New User with 2.2.1, How do i restore a backup from 2.0.3 with users, post and pms??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User with 2.2.1, How do i restore a backup from 2.0.3 with users, post and pms??

I am sure this is asked on a daily basis, And i did a search for this but found nothing that helped me. I have a backup from 2.0.3 vbulletin.sql file, I want to load that to my fresh clean installed version of 2.2.1 so i can have the styles, users, pms, post and so on. I do not have access to TELNET so i cannot do it through telnet as your instructions indicate. I downloaded a hack script from vb.org but did not have any luck there. I have access to phpMySQL on my server and i can see the DB and tables, Is there a way i can just FTP the backup file and run it somehow?? How do i do this?? someone help please.. My backup file is also on my site under forumbackup folder.. Thanks in advance for your assistance..
    Cobbcountyforums.com

You do REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED telnet access!

Alternatively there might be an option to run your vbulletin.sql file from phpMyAdmin or similar. You will have to delete your existing database first and then run the upgrade script on the imported database.
    Motorsport Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hewitt

Alternatively there might be an option to run your vbulletin.sql file from phpMyAdmin or similar. You will have to delete your existing database first and then run the upgrade script on the imported database.
      Actually i am installing the full version of it instead of just upgrades.. , And i want to restore the orginal forum with the new version, there has got to be a way of doing this.....
      Cobbcountyforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by DeeperImage

Actually i am installing the full version of it instead of just upgrades.. , And i want to restore the orginal forum with the new version, there has got to be a way of doing this.....
        There is no such thing as an upgrade version. There is only the full version which you overwrite your existing files on and then alter the database to fit.
        Motorsport Forums

Comment

There is no such thing as an upgrade version. There is only the full version which you overwrite your existing files on and then alter the database to fit.
          Okay so now that i am clear on that , How can i restore this backup file on the new one so i can have everything or close to it like on the previous one??
          Cobbcountyforums.com

Comment

normally you would get your backup say dump.sql
            and type

mysql -u(user) -p forumdatabase < dump.sql

on your blank database. then run the upgrade script from your webbrowser.

Since you don't have telnet. I dunno!
            Motorsport Forums

Comment

normally you would get your backup say dump.sql
              and type

mysql -u(user) -p forumdatabase < dump.sql

on your blank database. then run the upgrade script from your webbrowser.

Since you don't have telnet. I dunno!
              I found a UBimporter on VB.ORG and it says it should also work with previous version of VB but since i am a newbie i am not sure what all i would to enter to make it work, I have succesfully installed the script but not sure what to fill the fields out with..
              Cobbcountyforums.com

Comment

I found a UBimporter on VB.ORG and it says it should also work with previous version of VB but since i am a newbie i am not sure what all i would to enter to make it work, I have succesfully installed the script but not sure what to fill the fields out with..
                NO! Importer scripts are nothing to do with it at all.

You just need to execture your .sql file under mysql. Your host might need to do this for you.

Also you have ran the install script in 2.2.1 you'll need to delete the tables created.
                Motorsport Forums

Comment

NO! Importer scripts are nothing to do with it at all.

You just need to execture your .sql file under mysql. Your host might need to do this for you.

Also you have ran the install script in 2.2.1 you'll need to delete the tables created.
                  Okay i think i am clear now on what i need to do, I have deleted the INSTALL.PHP already, And now i just need to run vbulletin.sql correct from MySQL?? Thanks for the help..
                  Cobbcountyforums.com

Comment

Okay i think i am clear now on what i need to do, I have deleted the INSTALL.PHP already, And now i just need to run vbulletin.sql correct from MySQL?? Thanks for the help..
                    You don't need install.php but thats not what I meant. If you have run the install.php script that was wrong and you will need to delete all the tables it has created.

Then run your .sql script, then run the upgrade script and all should be well
                    Motorsport Forums

Comment

You don't need install.php but thats not what I meant. If you have run the install.php script that was wrong and you will need to delete all the tables it has created.

Then run your .sql script, then run the upgrade script and all should be well
                      Okay i am lost again..argggh... So i need to delete the database.. http://www.deeperimage.com/forums is what i have right now, and run vbulletin.sql in phpMyAdmin?? then after i have ran that, i need to find a file called upgrade.php and run the new 2.2.1??Sorry as i said i am very new at all this...arrgghhh..
                      Cobbcountyforums.com

Comment

Just for the record, I don't have Telnet access for vBulletin.org.

What a bad, bad host I have, eh?
                        Chen Avinadav
                        Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

The easiest and most reliable way to restore your backup without Telnet/SHH is to ask your web host to do it for you. If they are uncooperative you can try the script in this thread (see Enny's post):

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...kuprestore.zip

I have no experience with this and don't know if it'll work though. Good luck!
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Okay i tried the restore.php script and also no luck

here is the error i am getting

Fatal error: Only variables can be passed by reference in /public_html/forumbackup/restore.php on line 6

I'll pay someone to do it...but someone please help me get this back up..thanks.
                            Cobbcountyforums.com

Comment

Okay i tried the restore.php script and also no luck

here is the error i am getting

Fatal error: Only variables can be passed by reference in /public_html/forumbackup/restore.php on line 6

I'll pay someone to do it...but someone please help me get this back up..thanks.
                              Unfortunatley I have no experience with that script. AFAIK the only way to restore a backup reliably is from the shell (Telnet or SSH).

As I said, you may need to ask your web host to do this.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X