X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintagerv
    replied
    Changing Admin Password after being hacked

I was hacked this morning. They changed my login info so I can't get into the vBulletin admin. How can I reset the name and password so I can get control again?

Thanks,
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• ihelpyou
    replied
    nevermind.

I'm an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Your administrator password or your MySQL password?

You can change your admin password by going into your User CP > Edit Password.

Leave a comment:

• ihelpyou
    replied
    Along these same lines, I am in need of having to change my Password but leaving my same username.

I have no clue about this. I would appreciate any help. Detailed help if possible.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Oh I think I see what you are doing...OK you should not be editing config.php. config.php contains the values to connect to your MySQL server and has nothing to do with logging in to the Admin CP.

To login to the Admin CP you need to use the username/password you gave to vBulletin during the install process - *not* the ones from config.php.

If you can't remember what they are, run this query on your database:
    UPDATE user SET username='myusername',password='md5(mypassword)' WHERE userid=1;

Replace myusername and mypassword with the values you want to use. The password must contain at least 1 character. I suggest not using root for the username either.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Re: Unable to login to Control Panel as Admin

Originally posted by dd75
    [B]I am having great difficulties logging in to the Control Panel as admin. I have tried the default settings( User: root ; Pass: <blank> ). It always gives me a wrong password message. I have confirmed the logon settings several times in config.php. I have tried changing userid in config.php to admin with no password. I get the following message:

Warning: Access denied for user: '[email protected]' (Using password: YES) in C:\Webs\lawnforums_com\forums\admin\db_mysql.php on line 40

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Access denied for user: '[email protected]' (Using password: YES) in C:\Webs\lawnforums_com\forums\admin\db_mysql.php on line 40

I have also searched the db_mysql.php file for any reference to passwords and could not find one.

One usual thing (to me anyway) is that in order to set up the admin account I had to use "root" as user and a pair of double quotes ("") as the password. It would not complete with a blank password as indicated in config.php.
    A pair of double quotes *is* blank.

Where is it getting 'admin' from? It has to be pulling it from the config file, and unless you have a MySQL user with the name admin it won't work.

How did you run the install script if it couldn't connect to the MySQL server?

Leave a comment:

• Kaizen
    replied
    Run the install again make sure you put in different values.

Whats the url of your board ?

Leave a comment:

• dd75
    replied
    The values I used are User: "root" & Password is blank. That is what I have been trying. I always get "Wrong password" message.

Leave a comment:

• Kaizen
    replied
    When you ran install.php there was a screen that asked you to select some admin values - use them.

Leave a comment:

• dd75
    replied
    The vBulletin Control Panel. Immediately after install.php is deleted.

Leave a comment:

• Kaizen
    replied
    What control panel are you trying to log into ?

AdminCP
    Telnet

etc

Leave a comment:

• dd75
    replied
    The correct values are in config.php. The site is hosted in-house.

Leave a comment:

• Kaizen
    replied
    I think you misunderstand - You have to put the correct values in the config.php for your mysql server - email your host and ask the the details.

Leave a comment:

• dd75
    started a topic Unable to login to Control Panel as Admin

Unable to login to Control Panel as Admin

I am having great difficulties logging in to the Control Panel as admin. I have tried the default settings( User: root ; Pass: <blank> ). It always gives me a wrong password message. I have confirmed the logon settings several times in config.php. I have tried changing userid in config.php to admin with no password. I get the following message:

Warning: Access denied for user: '[email protected]' (Using password: YES) in C:\Webs\lawnforums_com\forums\admin\db_mysql.php on line 40

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Access denied for user: '[email protected]' (Using password: YES) in C:\Webs\lawnforums_com\forums\admin\db_mysql.php on line 40

I have also searched the db_mysql.php file for any reference to passwords and could not find one.

One usual thing (to me anyway) is that in order to set up the admin account I had to use "root" as user and a pair of double quotes ("") as the password. It would not complete with a blank password as indicated in config.php.

Thanks for any help in advance.