Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

User confirmation mail ?? email address strange !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User confirmation mail ?? email address strange !

Hi all,

I have a user struggling to become a member. He has a strange e-mail format. [email protected] probably unrelated! but ...

The message he gets is

We could not activate your account because this web address is not valid. Make sure that you have the entire address from the email, and that your email client has not split the address over several lines.

Please try again with the full address from the email that you received. If it still does not work, try filling in the activation form:
    Activation form

If you do not know your activation code, you can find it in the email that was sent to you when you first registered. To have it sent again, please click here:
    Send new email with activation code.

If all else fails, email the administrator, making sure that you include your registered email address and username.
    All else failed ...

any ideas ?

Vbulletin doesnt like emails that have two ' . ' after the ' @ '

Ask your member to register under an email address that doesnt have that and see what happens
    Email: [email protected]
    Site: Under Construction

Comment

What version of vB are you running? I think this is fixed in the latest version.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
        What version of vB are you running? I think this is fixed in the latest version.
        *it is ?

*me runs to my client and bangs him on the head till he upgrades - lol.

Comment

valid=valid

well it is a valid address. I am not at all sure if this is actually the problem, just something strange that may be related.

vBulletin does indeed read the address correctly, even here
          when Type it in manually it gets converted.

try it [email protected]

btw ... I think it is unprofessional to ask a prospective member
          to 'use another email address' especially emails like :

[email protected]
          or
          [email protected]

I.m running 2.2.0

and still it does not work
          Last edited by george_proost; Wed 28th Nov '01, 11:42am.

Comment

I didn't say that the email was invalid. I was having the problem the other day with a client.

btw ... I think it is unprofessional to ask a prospective member
            to 'use another email address'
            Why is this a problem ? Surely if it solves the problem or identifies it there is a benefit to doing it ? Please elaborate.

Comment

The two-dot tango is hogwash. I've beeen able to register as [email protected] with no problem ever since 2.0.3. Just FYI.
              Last edited by Fusion; Wed 28th Nov '01, 11:50am.
              Toddler from Hell

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion
                The two-dot tango is hogwash. I've beeen able to register as [email protected]ess with no problem. Just FYI.
                Versions ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaizen

Versions ?
                  Ever since 2.0.3.
                  Toddler from Hell

Comment

Re: User confirmation mail ?? email address strange !

Originally posted by george_proost
                    Hi all,

I have a user struggling to become a member. He has a strange e-mail format. [email protected] probably unrelated! but ...

The message he gets is

All else failed ...

any ideas ?
                    do you by any chance have banned characters in usernames in the banning box in admin panel ?
                    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Why is this a problem ? Surely if it solves the problem or identifies it there is a benefit to doing it ? Please elaborate.
                      If your member is a client, and he brings in €30.000 per year, you do not ask him to use another e-mail address.

Last edited by george_proost; Wed 28th Nov '01, 12:02pm.

Comment

Its upto you.

I was merely giving a suggestion to get the user registered and working.

Then you can concentrate on the email problem.

Comment

oic

Comment

Originally posted by george_proost

If your member is a client, and he brings in €30.000 per year, you do not ask him to use another e-mail address.

well actually you would if it didn't work (the email address that is )
                            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Here's the thread that discusses this bug:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=31240
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X