he can simply restore his SQL file via phpMyAdmin. GRRR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• he can simply restore his SQL file via phpMyAdmin. GRRR

I told my host they needed to import my forum backup into the database and they contacted the system admin and here's what he said:

"We don't need to do it actually, he can simply restore his SQL file via phpMyAdmin."

Attched is a picture of what the phpMyAdmin looks like. (I don't know if it looks the same on all servers or what.

In the 2nd picture where it shows the browse button I tried to use that but after a few minutes it just loaded a dead page, which didn't surprise me since it's a 514 MB sql file.

So how do I do what they are saying I can do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Gutspiller; Wed 21 Nov '01, 6:48pm.

here's a picture of what it looks like after you click on the btaylor database name:

Comment

You can't restore a 514MB backup from phpMyAdmin. It's just simply not possible because of PHP timing out. Your host needs to restore it or they should tell you how to do it via SSH or Telnet. If they won't do either then I'd find a new host.

Comment

Well considering how stupid the host is, I personally woud drop them now, but thats just me....

Haha... how about his, email him your db dump, and tell him to restore it via phpMyAdmin

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
          You can't restore a 514MB backup from phpMyAdmin. It's just simply not possible because of PHP timing out. Your host needs to restore it or they should tell you how to do it via SSH or Telnet. If they won't do either then I'd find a new host.
          You would be lucky to be able to restore a 750kb databsse through phpmyadmin.
          Email: [email protected]
          Site: Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by Kaizen
            You would be lucky to be able to restore a 750kb databsse through phpmyadmin.
            I already restored alot bigger database with phpMyAdmin.

It usually works with databases not bigger than 10mb, just not very safe.
            (it depends on your connection too. 56k users won't be able to restore a medium database eiter)
            Chen Avinadav
            Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

*me slaps his host over the head for having short timeout !

Comment

Kaizen,
                Their is a reason why hosts provide shell access, so they don't have to give a longer timeout, which can lead to people looping scripts and crashing the server

Comment

Kevin and I went into an in depth discussion on this after I totally Fubard a completely good database. If you attempt to restore with phpmyadmin you will be taking an un needed risk. Just ask me. This is how my database ended up FUBARD. After this mess I decided to SSH telnet in at all costs for any reason. It has worked flawlessly and is highly recommended. If you do not have a SSH account I would consider doing what the above has stated and tell your host to kiss your DB.

Hell with PhpMyAdmin. I'll run from the prompt thank you. That loss of my db was a pain. PhpMyAdmin is a whole lot like Windows 98. Now you wouldn't want to depend on Window's 98 to not screw up with something as important as ALL OF YOUR DATA. Now would you?
                  Last edited by Hooper; Thu 22 Nov '01, 1:04pm.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prohacker
                    Kaizen,
                    Their is a reason why hosts provide shell access, so they don't have to give a longer timeout, which can lead to people looping scripts and crashing the server
                    lol

i wasn't talking about aphosting.com

Comment

I was kiding anyway

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X