X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email functions...please help!

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of V-bulletin and one of my members has forgotten their password. They've tried typing in their email address to have the password sent to them, but they claim they don't get it. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to fix this? I'm not sure if my email settings are screwed up or what. Thanks in advance!

Do any other email functions work? Is it only this one person that's having a problem?

Also please visit the link in the last line of my sig and add your name to the Priority Forums Support list. Thanks.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have my number and all that here at work. When I get home tonight, I'll join you in the priority area.

In any event, my other email functions obviously work because I require users to validate their email addresses before registering. I also just registered a "testing" user name on my board to check things out. I got the email validating my account, but when I followed the "lost password" directions in the password, something strange happened. I typed in the email address I used to register and I got an email saying to click this link to reset your password. When I clicked on the link, it took me back to the same page asking for my email address again. Something obviously isn't functioning right. It should also be noted that I made the changes listed in the sticky topic above to the email templates. Am I doing something wrong?

Comment

You can get your info by going to this link:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/lostpw.php

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

OK, I setup this user name as a priority member or whatever. What do I do now?

Comment

Thanks!

As for the member that isn't getting email, have you verified that the email address they have in their profile is a valid one? Occasionally some ISPs set up email filters that inadvertantly block email from certain sources. For instance, some look for the label 'nobody'' in the headers and assume this is a spam email.

With my last hows, they were blocking all outgoing mail to certain domains. They never admitted it, but I was able to verify this myself with a lot of trial and error.

Bottom line is that if other email functions are working, this isn't a vB problem. It's either a problem with your webhost blocking outgoing email, or the receiver's host blocking incoming mail. (Alternately the receiver could have their own email filtering program that's discarding these emails as well.)

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Alright, but how about the other part about entering the email address to have your user name sent to you and your password reset? For example, I enter my email address in that form field, and I'm sent an email with a URL to click to reset my password. I click that link and it takes me back to the page asking for my email address again. Any suggestions there?

Also, now that I have editted the lost password template as described in the sticky topic above, the body of the email is appearing twice.

Bottom line, is there any other way to get the password to the user? Thanks for all your help.

Comment

You can't get the password to the user because it's encrypted. If the posted fix isn't working for you then I don't know what it could be. I added the fix to my forums and it works perfectly now.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

same problem

I have the same problem. I'm running 2.2.0 and other mail functions work properly. when someone tries to retrieve their lost password, they get the mail saying to click a certain link to reset it, however they do NOT get a mailing back saying what the password is.........

Comment

Re: same problem

Originally posted by linuxman25
                    I have the same problem. I'm running 2.2.0 and other mail functions work properly. when someone tries to retrieve their lost password, they get the mail saying to click a certain link to reset it, however they do NOT get a mailing back saying what the password is.........
                    They will NEVER get an email saying what the password is as they are encrypted using a non-reversible encryption. I believe they get a link allowing them to reset it to what they want. Or they should be anyways
                    JTMON

Comment

uhh ok

Ok, this is the exact phrase sent to a user after he has entered his/her email address on the 'forgot password' page. This is in the email sent to he/she telling them to "click this link" to have your password reset. It clearly states below that the password will be emailed back. I operate the linux server that this board is on and there are NO logs in the /var/log/maillog indicating that any mail has been sent with the new password.

Here is the exact wording below:

"When you visit that page, your password will be reset, and the new password will be emailed to you."

"Your username is: test"

Comment

now look

never get a password back ehh?
                        well, this is the exact email that 2.2.0 sent me WITH THE PASSWORD.

Hello,

As you requested, your password has now been reset. Your new details are as follows:

Username: test
                        Password: 73428863

Comment

ok

Ok, when I click on forgot password and put the email address in I DO get the email saying, "click this link to reset your password. When you click on this link your password will be reset and emailed back to you..." So, I click that but instead of gettting the page that says my password has been reset and mailed to me, I get the following:

vBulletin Message
                          You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
                          You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
                          You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
                          If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Your User Name: Want to register?
                          Your Password: Forgotten your password?

The administrator may have required you to register before you can view this page.

Any clues?

Comment

Re: now look

Originally posted by linuxman25
                            never get a password back ehh?
                            well, this is the exact email that 2.2.0 sent me WITH THE PASSWORD.

Hello,

As you requested, your password has now been reset. Your new details are as follows:

Username: test
                            Password: 73428863
                            Exactly, that "password" is the encrypted version of the correct password. Maybe this will help:

http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=32661
                            JTMON

Comment

Ok

I guess I'm not explaining myself very clearly.

The fact of the matter is, I'm not getting the email back telling me what the new encrypted password is....plain and simple. I don't know how to say it any other way. I'm just not getting any email sent back to me after I click to have it reset.....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X