Moving Servers w/o Telnet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Servers w/o Telnet

greetings. i am in the verge of purchasing a plan from featureprice.com. i want to move my current vb to that new server. unfortunately, they said that they do not provide telnet access. is it still possible for me to move my vB? how?

by the way, do you guys know any news about Feature Price? are they worth it?

you need telnet to import your vb database backup... ask you new host can they import your mysql database if you upload it to you new account... if they can't find another host
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

aight. thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kurgen
        aight. thanks!
        no probs.. let us know how it goes
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Can you give me a tutorial on how to Telnet? Everything about it cause I know zero about Telnet. How I do I start, use, etc..

Comment

I never tried it but I think you could write a php script to do the import (which is almost identical to the export except for an < direction).

VB already does the export (and can do it to a directory).

Most hosts do not allow telnet. I don't allow any of my webmasters to telnet into my web server (or SSH).

Dark Cloud:
            from a windows dos window prompt type:
            telnet www.yoursitename.com
            you will get a login and password prompt.
            It should be the same as your FTP login

NOTE: your host may have telnet disabled and you will get nothing or a failed login (depending if it's turned off or you don't have permission).
            Last edited by XboxCenter.com; Tue 6 Nov '01, 8:31am.
            Forum: http://www.xboxcenter.com/forum

Comment

It would be harder to make an import script, you would have to devide each query from the .sql file so you wouldn't suffer the timeouts you get with phpMyAdmin. It is possible, but you have to make the script for each db dump, there is no uniform script to do it successful always.....

Comment

Originally posted by XboxCenter.com
                Most hosts do not allow telnet.
                I don't think that's accurate. All of the hosts I've ever looked at allow some type of shell access.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X