Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more newbie questions

Howdy.

just bought my copy. I've some basic questions.

Here is my proposed config.

-Win2k prof.
    -apache 1.3.22
    -php 4.0.6
    -mysql (latest..too many #s)

My question is which download of php do i need?

i.e.

PHP 4.0.6 zip package [4,859Kb] - 23 June 2001
    (CGI binary plus server API versions for Apache, AOLserver, ISAPI and NSAPI. MySQL support built-in, many extensions included, packaged as zip)

PHP 4.0.6 installer [755Kb] - 23 June 2001
    (CGI only, MySQL support built-in, packaged as Windows installer to install and configure PHP, and automatically configure IIS, PWS and Xitami, with manual configuration for other servers. N.B. no external extensions included)

Thanks. as a note. the manual so far seems to be *nix-centric.

_cup

Take the first one - the zip package.

Please enter your license information in your profile. See the link in my sig for more info. Thanks!

Comment

thanks.

i added my forum name under my username/password in the members area. is this a separate action? well i'll just click and find out i guess

but while i do that another questions:

"PHP is operating as an Apache module, ISAPI module, or as a CGI application."

which of these 3 options is the best for my server config?

I would think apache module, yes?

-cup

Comment

As long as you've got Apache installed, use the Apache module. It'll be faster.

Comment

the best thing you can do with IIS is uninstall it. If that's not an option, make sure it doesn't start as service. They are producing worms faster than M$ can make patches.
          Webmaster:
          @forumz

Comment

Originally posted by Martin
            the best thing you can do with IIS is uninstall it. If that's not an option, make sure it doesn't start as service. They are producing worms faster than M$ can make patches.
            I host some of my sites on IIS

I know older versions left a lot to be desired but the newer v5 and v5.1 are IMO really good. I host a couple of sites on IIS 4 (about to upgrade to Win2k), and they work very well and are fast.
            The thing about IIS is it's ease of management, which Apache doesn't have because you need to edit the httpd.conf file.

Comment

Working...
            X