go back to topic list after post..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• go back to topic list after post..

ok so i would really like that when someone posts a new thread/reply to something, for it to go back to the topic list instead of the reply/new thread they just posted at.. i mean, it's semi-pointless to go back to a thread they just posted on..

so i know this involves editing certain template(s), i'm pretty sure i can find out which one(s), but my main question is what is the url/code i'd change to go back to the topic list instead of the topic they just posted on?
    http://www.somethingleet.com - the forum of the free // graphics/web design forum.

In newreply.php, replace this:
    Code:
          // redirect
          if ($prevpost[visible]) {
            $goto="showthread.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&postid=$postid#post$postid";
          } else {
            $goto="forumdisplay.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&forumid=$forumid";
          }
    with just this:
    Code:
          // redirect
    And also replace this:
    Code:
          // redirect
          if ($visible) {
            $goto="showthread.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&postid=$postid#post$postid";
          } else {
            $goto="forumdisplay.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&forumid=$threadinfo[forumid]";
          }
    with this:
    Code:
          // redirect
          $goto="forumdisplay.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&forumid=$threadinfo[forumid]";
    Chen Avinadav
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

that worked.. thanks a bunch.. but it only worked for replying and not for posting new threads.. can you please provide the code and php file to modify to go back to the topic list on new threads? thanks
      http://www.somethingleet.com - the forum of the free // graphics/web design forum.

Comment

Instead of:
        Code:
              // redirect
              if ($prevpost[visible]) {
                $goto="showthread.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&threadid=$threadid";
              } else {
              }
        use this:
        Code:
              // redirect
        And instead of:
        Code:
              // redirect
              if ($postpoll) {
                $goto="poll.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&threadid=$threadid&polloptions=".intval($polloptions);
              } elseif ($visible) {
                $goto="showthread.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&threadid=$threadid";
              } else {
              }
        use this:
        Code:
              // redirect
              if ($postpoll) {
                $goto="poll.php?s=$session[sessionhash]&threadid=$threadid&polloptions=".intval($polloptions);
              } else {
              }
        In newthread.php of course.
        Last edited by Chen; Wed 17 Oct '01, 4:37am.
        Chen Avinadav
        Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

Has anyone managed to make this either an option that the user can set in preferences or user-selectable at the time of post or a combination of both?

Some boards or hacks to other boards have a pause on the redirect screen that let's the user select to return to the thread or the forum. Some are very elaborate, such as at The PC Guide, and give the user the option of picking a destination, but the pausing redirect just annoys a lot of people.

Since whether the user wants to return to the thread or the forum varies with the thread and the preferences of the user, I think a good approach might be to let the user set default preference, but also give them the option of changing that when posting, like e-mail notification works.

Is it possible now by making changes to vBulletin?

Comment

Theres a really nice hack out to do this... in the hacks forum of course.

It lets users set a default preference in thier CP and allows it to be turned on/off within each post (right under the email notification check box).
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Mine, of course:
              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=26734
              It also has the option to select it for each thread, using a checkbox.
              Chen Avinadav

Comment

Of course.

Comment

Working...
                X