Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Couple of performance questions

Hi!

I have a couple questions for you guys if you would be so kind. After all, I am a paying customer!

Are there any performance gains from upgrading from 2.0.0 to the latest version? I am trying to get as much out of my server as I can.

And secondly, can anyone point me to a good, PHP-based ad serving software? The DotBanner software that I used before was kind of crippling the server when we got Slashdotted today, so I took off, but really need a replacement ASAP.

Thanks!

I'm not aware of any performance gains from 2.0.0 to 2.0.3. However you'll get a few more features (Who's Online) and fix a major security hole. You really should upgrade as soon as possible.

As for the ads software, I have no clue.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi Vigile,

Are you sure that a PHP adserving software is necessary? I've tried dozens of ad serving solutions, including adcycle, spinbox (which Ii paid $7,000 for), and tons of other expensive and cheap solutions. Somehow I've always cone back to webadverts.

http://awsd.com/scripts/webadverts/

The new version isn't as much as a server hog as previous versions have been (which have given it a bad rap).

It's only $50 to register and free to try (it's also a very easy setup).
      Jason M. DesRoches
      Co-Founder / Business Development
      Big Resources Network
      [email protected]

Comment

Re: A Couple of performance questions

Originally posted by Vigile
        Hi!

I have a couple questions for you guys if you would be so kind. After all, I am a paying customer!

Are there any performance gains from upgrading from 2.0.0 to the latest version? I am trying to get as much out of my server as I can.

And secondly, can anyone point me to a good, PHP-based ad serving software? The DotBanner software that I used before was kind of crippling the server when we got Slashdotted today, so I took off, but really need a replacement ASAP.

Thanks!
        1. do upgrade.. security bug fixes, new features as kevin mentioned

2. http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpadsnew/ i'm serving 255,000 banner impressions/day on the same server as my vB and several other sites of mine
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Last time I checked his name was Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
            Yep, just verified that by checking my driver's license!
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
              doh

sorry steve ... i tell who's who by the sigs these days and got them mixed up
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Re: Re: A Couple of performance questions

Originally posted by eva2000

1. do upgrade.. security bug fixes, new features as kevin mentioned

2. http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpadsnew/ i'm serving 255,000 banner impressions/day on the same server as my vB and several other sites of mine
                My site does about 250,000 page views a day, with about 5 ads on each page, that is 1.25 million banner impressions. Have you heard about the power of that phpAdsNew system with that much traffic?

Did the upgrade, all went well.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: A Couple of performance questions

My site does about 250,000 page views a day, with about 5 ads on each page, that is 1.25 million banner impressions. Have you heard about the power of that phpAdsNew system with that much traffic?

Did the upgrade, all went well.
                  try it and find out

phpadsnew 2 beta 6 is out i'm still using beta 4 right now

you could always set up a dedicated ad server with the script as well

Comment

Okay, I'll probably try it out and see. I posted a question in the SourceForge forum to see if they devs answer.

Setting up a dedicated ad server would cost $$ though

Comment

Okay, I'll probably try it out and see. I posted a question in the SourceForge forum to see if they devs answer.

Setting up a dedicated ad server would cost $$ though
                      i thought you had spare Athlon server parts? or was that someone else on this forum who runs an AMD related site and vB ?

Comment

Working...
                      X