Script Timeout Problem on Windows 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great huh?

Well we still have the same problem regarding the timeout. I said that I would concentrate on mysql but this problem is lower in the priorities.

Like I said in the PM, I reckon Mysql is jamming up at certain times causing the server to terminate scripts. The question is whats wrong with mysql ?

Let you know how I get on once I get round to it

At least you've made some progress !

Comment

Hi willyjb, long time no talk...

Have you had any other ideas?

I've still got this problem with the timeouts but it is getting worse. Every now and then, I get about 10 of these timeouts occuring over a 1 second interval. Sometimes, during this period, it locks up the entire webserver taking out other functions. Not too good eh ?

Has anyone else had this problem ?

Comment

The same problem here I'm working to undestand how to stop this timeout.
        Renato

Comment

Still got the problem. I have moved the forums website into its own IIS process space and this seems to reduced the change of forums going wrong and taking out the other websites on the server. This is what you are supposed to do anyway but I missed this !

But what causes the actual timeout has done me. There are slow queries reported in mysql which could be responsible.

Comment

I made a post a day or two ago about timeouts I have been experiencing during replying. (newreply.php)

My host is running unix. So I doubt it's Win2K related. I think it's database related because when I get the timeouts I can still browse the forums in a difeerent window. More specifically some code in newreply.php

They are intermittent too. I can reply to messages then then suddenly it will start timing out. Eventually I can post a reply after several retries. Usually about 5 mins later.

However, since my post a day or two ago I have not experienced this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MiF
              I made a post a day or two ago about timeouts I have been experiencing during replying. (newreply.php)

My host is running unix. So I doubt it's Win2K related. I think it's database related because when I get the timeouts I can still browse the forums in a difeerent window. More specifically some code in newreply.php

They are intermittent too. I can reply to messages then then suddenly it will start timing out. Eventually I can post a reply after several retries. Usually about 5 mins later.

However, since my post a day or two ago I have not experienced this problem.
              Sounds like a cross platform problem. I am wondering whether it is to do with IDE disks and a possible disk clash since I have it on the C drive of an IDE based server that is sharing with SQLServer and other apps.

Is you linux box IDE based or SCSI ?

Comment

I've not had any problems with my Win2k Version, i'm using service pack 2 + the hefty 17mb security patch.

PHP 4.1.1 ISAPI and MySQL 4.01 along with Apache 1.3.22

Runnin a Athlon 1.8 XP+
                512mb DDR RAM
                2 x 20GB IBM 7200rpm

Its only my development board, and we can have around 10 people on at the same time workin on modifications etc and I ain't had any problems at the moment.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

But is it IDE or SCSI ? WE get up to get members on our board and the server is shared with a SQL server based website and other smaller websites / applications but its on a dual 1.2 and CPU never goes above 10%. Fragmentation is close to zero so there is no reason for MYsql to run slowly other than disk contention. I do have dual disks with MYsql on the C drive and SQLSErver on the D drive but I'm wondering if my IDE system cannot cope ?

Otherwise it is a mystery.

Comment

I continue to had this problem

I'm trying this way:

PHP Code:
                    set_time_limit(25); 
                    put this code in the first lines of global.php

PHP Code:
                    <?php
                    error_reporting
                    (7);
                    set_time_limit(25);
                    I'v got a W2k Server SP2 + last security Fix, PHP 4.1.1, IIS5, MySQL 3.23.48.
                    Don't say it's IIS that doesn't work pls
                    Renato

Comment

Actually, you can also eliminate the error message by setting the CGI timeout value in IIS5,

goto: properties -> home dir -> configuration -> process options

Ok, so you can remove the error message but the default is 300 seconds so why on earth is a php cgi process taking at least 300 seconds to execute ?

Surely something else is wrong? I have 3 slow queries per day marked in the mysql logs and about corresponding 15 timeouts reported by IIS.

No script should take this long.....

I found a similar report on a php board a while ago and the solution was to move to a new server !

This is one of those problems that I'll never solve.........

Comment

If you ever find a solution please share as I also have the same annoying timeouts on a Win2k server with IIS. Service pack and all the latest versions of MySQL, PHP and such.

I originally was also running a graphical chat world on the same server (with MSsql) and thought perhaps the combination might in some way be lagging things enough that php or mysql timed however even moving the chat to a dedicated server I still have the timeouts occasionally.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X