Script Timeout Problem on Windows 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script Timeout Problem on Windows 2000

I've been using vB 2.0.3 for some time now and am very pleased with it.

I recently moved it from an NT server to a Windows 2000 server and while it appears to run fine with several thousand page views per day, I've noticed that my Windows event log is filling up with messages as follows:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: W3SVC
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 16
    Date: 10/8/2001
    Time: 11:42:05 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: SERVER80
    Description:
    The script started from the URL '/newreply.php' with parameters 's=&action=newreply&postid=8179' has not responded within the configured timeout period. The HTTP server is terminating the script.
    For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

It also occurs with lots of other PHP files used by vB. I wonder if there is a timeout setting I am missing? I have set the connection timeout to 900s and the ASP scripttimeout to 90s - I presume that the ASP timeout applies to PHP because it is a script! PHP.ini only contains another timeout to 30 seconds.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks - all help appreciated

Can you please enter your license information into your profile? Thanks

Comment

My apologies - I have not been here in a while and did know realise the new rules.

I have now entered my customer details.

Comment

your asp setting is not related to the php one. they are run by different programs.

The one in php.ini is key if this was a php problem but from the error message it does not look like php.ini is the problem (that just gives a 404 if the script is not completed in time), i think it is your webserver that is the problem. Apache (for linux) has a max time out setting, what you are using must do as well.
        Christopher Padfield
        Web Based Helpdesk
        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Thanks Chris for your reply.

Originally posted by chrispadfield
          your asp setting is not related to the php one. they are run by different programs.

Yes - and initially I would think so too, I was just confirming that it wasn't a case of bad GUI i.e. the ASP setting means "Any script runnning as well as ASP".

The one in php.ini is key if this was a php problem but from the error message it does not look like php.ini is the problem (that just gives a 404 if the script is not completed in time), i think it is your webserver that is the problem. Apache (for linux) has a max time out setting, what you are using must do as well.
          I'll check to see if there are any other timeouts hidden in IIS.

It is interesting that it only occurs with vB since there are many types of script running on this server including other PHP but they do not timeout. Also, it is worrying that so many people are experiencing timeouts. I just wondered if anyone else out there has experienced a similar problem with vB / IIS 5

Thanks anyway for your help.

Comment

Yes, I too am getting those identical error messages on W2K. I am using version 1.6 of vb. I am also experiencing a severe memory leak which I did not have on NT 4.0. and have to reboot about once a day. I am using the cgi form of php, are you?

Comment

Hmm.... interesting - I am also getting a slow memory leak in dllhost.exe however, I wasn't pinning this on PHP/vB though since there is a very large web app running on the same server where I have already found leaky code. Since I've got a 1.3 Gb RAM, I schedule a reboot only once a week.

I'm using CGI PHP as well. I believe the general advice a while ago was to stay away from the ISAPI version.

These problems certainly did not show up on NT. Are you using Service Pack 2 as well ?

I doubt if it is a memory leak in the vB PHP code since there would be lots of complaints on this board. Either PHP itself has a problem on Win2K or something else is wrong.

Maybe the script timeout and the memory leak are related since a terminated script would not release database connections????

I think we should pursue the script timeout problem first and then look at the memory leak later. I am off to search for information on why the server would terminate a script.

Let me know how you get on since we may as well sort this out together.

Cheers

Comment

Hi

Yes, I am using SP2. The changes I made were
                1 - moving from NT 4 to W2K
                2 - moving from mysql 3.23.37 to 3.23.42
                3 - moving from php4.0.4 to php4.0.6

my VB code and version was unchanged. I don't think the timeout problem is related to the memory leak as I only get a few timeouts whereas I can just watch the memory getting eaten up using TaskManager. I am considering switching to the ISAPI version of PHP to see if that helps.

Mine is a dedicated server and VB is the only site. (512 Ram)

Comment

I'm:
                  • win2k SP2
                  • mysql 3.23.41
                  • php 4.0.6

Ok, thats interesting about the memory leaks not related to the number of timeouts. I get approx 100 timeouts / day and leaks of about 10 M per day.

Is it in DLLHOST.EXE where your leak is occuring ?

It would also be interesting to see if the ISAPI stops the leak but I understand that ISAPI does not work very well under load unless there is a newer version - this was said earlier this year.

I've still not yet had a chance to surf for IIS timeouts. I'm going to do it now.

Comment

Yes, browsing through here, ISAPI does look a bit risky. I also found this
                    add the extensions .php .php3 .phtml and make the command line c:\php\php.exe %s %s

Command line, meaning the path to wherever your php.exe is hiding...
                    Also note the double "%s", that's not an error.

CGI mode is a bit slower, but also more stable. The ISAPI mode is still experimental, so you're likely to get in trouble sooner or later
                    I don't have the "%s %s" - does anyone know what that is for? Is it necessary?

Mr Chunder, I don't know where the mem leak is coming from, how can you tell? the "memusage" number in the bottom right of Task Manager slowly goes up, but DLLHOST does not increase that much.

Here is the mem usage this morning, currently 35 users
                    07:30AM 203,320 / 1,277,996
                    10:08AM 226,364 /
                    11:04AM 234,748 /

Comment

Originally posted by willyjb
                      I don't have the "%s %s" - does anyone know what that is for? Is it necessary?
                      Its like C style parameters. I don't have them and we both didn't have them on NT so I don't think we need to worry about them!

Mr Chunder, I don't know where the mem leak is coming from, how can you tell? the "memusage" number in the bottom right of Task Manager slowly goes up, but DLLHOST does not increase that much.
                      To find a list of the greediest process, goto task manager, enable the virtual memory column (this is important because it shows the total amount of memory consumed by a process and not that which has been swapped out to disk by the OS - ignore the "mem usage" column - its useless). To enable VM column, select the processes tab, then select the view menu, then select "select columns", then click on "virtual memory size" (near the top on the right hand column). Once you've done this, the "VM Size" column will appear in the processes tab. Order the list of process by memory size by click on the "VM Size" column header and scrolling to the top if necessary until you see a list of descending memory sizes. The greediest one is at the top. Watch the memory of the greediest processes as time passes and you can work out the "guzzle rate" of each process. I suspect that, like me, dllhost.exe is the one consuming memory.

Here is the mem usage this morning, currently 35 users
                      07:30AM 203,320 / 1,277,996
                      10:08AM 226,364 /
                      11:04AM 234,748 / [/B]
                      Yep! Thats a much faster guzzle rate than me - something like 10 times more than me. I usually have about 15 users on the board on average.

Comment

Well, the ISAPI experiment didn't go well at all, almost immediately hung IIS. I am now trying php 4.04., we'll see, I am not too optimistic, but I need to find a solution.

Comment

Howsit going willyjb ?

I've noticed just recently that I'm only getting two of these timeouts a day now and memory has virtually stopped leaking in dllhost.

I've done absolutely nothing so can't work it out.

How are you doing ?

Comment

Hi - well, I am still working on it, it is a priority. The PHP 4.0.4 did not solve either the timeout problem or the bigger problem for me, the memory leak. However I did realize that probably before, on NT 4.0, I was not logging the timeout events to the event log, whereas with the new installation I was. So it may not be something new, just wasn't noticed before.

BTW, I noticed a setting in php.ini timeout = 30 (seconds)

Early this morning I switched back to PHP 4.0.6 and switched to MySQL 3.23.37. It is too early to tell yet whether that will have an effect on the memory leak.

I am surprised that you are not finding a memory leak any more, weird. I do think you have to look at the overal "Mem Usage", not just dllhost. Lost memory does not showup in any particular programs usage.

Comment

mem leak fixed

Sigh - it is always the unexpected. When I moved the vBB to my new W2K server I installed Roxio (Adaptec) GoBack. I use it on my test server and it works great at allowing you to try something then 'Undo' it. however, in a production environment, you get a major memoryleak!

So disabled GoBack - memory leak gone. The timeout problem is still there.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X