Drive crashed - how to restore DB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive crashed - how to restore DB?

So my hard drive crashed on my system and I have no backup of my database for my forums. I've gotten a new HDD, and re-installed MySql and PHP, and vBulletin.

So here is what I need to know:

1. If I recover all the DB files from the MySql Data folder can I import/install the old DB from the old drive?

2. If so, how do I do it without damaging the existing data?

3. Are there any special steps I need to take to get MySql or vBulletin to recognize the DB?

I have not actually installed vBulletin, PHP, or MySql on my production server, only my Development server, so if a fresh install is needed then that's okay, too.

Is it possible? I have not attempted to recover the DB from the drive yet, because I need to know if it is worth my time to try and recover it. If it's non-restorable, then why bother trying to recover it, you know?

BTW, It's a W2K box, IIS 5.0.

Thanks for you help!

James F
    [email protected]

It is restorable, if you use the same version of MySQL.

Shut down MySQL, then copy the contents of the old 'data' folder into the new folder with the same name (in your MySQL folder), then restart MySQL.

That will copy all old databases.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X