Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to display full URLs in message (not truncated)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zachery
    replied
    Please don't ever bump 10 year old threads.

Leave a comment:

• ihstiv
    replied
    Originally posted by Chen View Post
    Alright:
    Custom BB codes => Add
    vB Code tag - "longurl"
    vB Code replacement - "<a href="{param}" target="_blank">{param}</a>"
    Use {option} ? NO.

You know how to explain stuff better than me, not to mention me bad English , so fill vB Code example and vB Code explanation yourself.

And it works!

As for the "open all in same window", I don't even know how to do that.
    Maybe some HTML expert could come and tell us, but I have no idea how to accomplish that (even in regular pages!).
    super old thread here, but just in case it's useful target="_blank" is what tells it to open a new window - replace with target="_self" to open the link in the same window.

Leave a comment:

• Josh_1
    replied
    by the way, is there a way to make this default? (probably not)
    for us "power users", typing in the tag takes too much time. I found that the fastest way is to just copy-paste the url, then publish the post, then edit it immediatly, and just add the "long" (or actually, "l" if you make it just "lurl") inside the tag....takes less time than to type the whole tag.

Leave a comment:

• Josh_1
    replied
    Yaa-hoo! After much searching, this old thread finally provided the stuff that did the trick! I was racking my brain over this....this should really be a vBoptions ...well, option. I hate those truncated URLs, besides for keyword-rich URLs, this is good for linking for SEO.

thanks Chen.

Leave a comment:

• Chen
    replied
    Originally posted by theflow
    But why can't I call it "unabridgedURL" vs. longurl??

heh heh heh... thanks
    *sigh*

Leave a comment:

• JamesUS
    replied
    You can call it whatever you like

Leave a comment:

• theflow
    replied
    But why can't I call it "unabridgedURL" vs. longurl??

heh heh heh... thanks

Leave a comment:

• Chen
    replied
    See?

Leave a comment:

• Chen
    replied
    Dear Clueless in San Francisco,

Using [longurl] will not truncate the URLs.

Lemme rephrase my last post:
    In the Admin CP, click Add below Custom BB codes.
    Then, for "vB Code tag" fill in "longurl"
    For "vB Code replacement" fill in "<a href="{param}" target="_blank">{param}</a>"
    And set "Use {option} ?" to NO.
    (that's exactly how it appears on that screen)

Leave a comment:

• theflow
    replied
    Flyguy: which function does that code tag handle?

(1) a URL to not-truncate -- or
    (2) URL to not auto-link?

Also, I have no idea what to fill in what. Am I supposed to insert something where you have {param} and {option} ??

Signed,
    Clueless in San Francisco

Leave a comment:

• Chen
    replied
    Alright:
    Custom BB codes => Add
    vB Code tag - "longurl"
    vB Code replacement - "<a href="{param}" target="_blank">{param}</a>"
    Use {option} ? NO.

You know how to explain stuff better than me, not to mention me bad English , so fill vB Code example and vB Code explanation yourself.

And it works!

As for the "open all in same window", I don't even know how to do that.
    Maybe some HTML expert could come and tell us, but I have no idea how to accomplish that (even in regular pages!).

Leave a comment:

• theflow
    replied
    Yes, that would be great. Post it in its entirety, please. (You ought to presume by now, I don't have a clue about how to code anything)

So you're saying define a new tag for when I want a URL to not-truncate -- or for when I want a URL to not auto-link?

Show me how to do both, please. But if you are the superfly I know you to be, perhaps you even know how to create some tag that translates as: "all URLs between these tags should target the same browser window" -- vs. opening in separate windows. That's really my more favored objective... So, for example, I could create a slideshow with URLs (in one posting), and upon clicking through the list of URL's, the images swap in same new browser window -- not opening a new window for ecah URL...

Can you have this done in 5 minutes? (I'll be back after I take a whiz... )

Leave a comment:

• Chen
    replied
    Back to your first request, I think that if you create a new tag, let's say [longurl]http://www...[/longurl], and make that function like the [url] tag, it will not truncate the URL.

If you need exact instructions on how to do that, I'll be happy to post it here.

Leave a comment:

• theflow
    replied
    Originally posted by tubedogg
    Not without some in-depth hacking, methinks.
    Okay.. thanks. But one last thing. Re: "Automatically parse URLs", I removed that checkoff display (but kept the value YES) from my compose screens because I wanted less clutter.

(Example: http://www.theflow.com/forums/newrep...y&threadid=493 )

So if I want to occasionally do what I have mentioned above, presenting a list of non-linking URLs that people could cut & paste, if I don't have that checkoff option visible in my UI, is there any alt-way to tell vB "don't parse URLs in this message"?

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Not without some in-depth hacking, methinks.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X