Could I install it myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I install it myself?

I've installed YaBB boards before but I'm not sure if I could install vB. How hard is it really to install them? Cause I'd rather save myself the extra $100 and some dollars, you know?
    Console Racing Review

Webmaster:
    @forumz

Comment

I don't have one yet. I'd like to find out how hard it is to install before I spend all that cash.
      Console Racing Review

Comment

If everything is set up properly with your host, it's not difficult at all to set up.

It's when things are not set up properly that things get tricky and expertise comes in handy
        Webmaster:
        @forumz

Comment

Oh ok. I just saw the trial vB Lite so I'm going to try that real quick to see if my host can handle it. Would the install on the Lite version be the same as the install on the normal (full) version?
          Console Racing Review

Comment

it's fairly similar to the install for 2.0.3, though it has less features and (I believe) will work with moreoutdated versions of PHP.
            Webmaster:
            @forumz

Comment

Cool man. Thanks for your help. I have a few more questions about vB if you don't mind.

1. Since I really don't think my host will be able to hold these forums could you recommend a host with the reguired features. Cash is an issue, I really need a cheap host.

2. I always hear about sites "going over their limit". I'm guessing this means the data transfer limit. What kind of transfer space (thinking it's measured in GB) should I get in a host?
              Console Racing Review

Comment

Just as I thought, the current host I use doesn't have PHP installed. D'oh!
                Console Racing Review

Comment

www.venturesonline.com is who has my server, and they do virtual hosting, too.

for other options, look in the Hosting forum on here.

As for transfer, I get ~100-150 k pageviews/day and I use about 2 Gb/day or so. It really depends on the forum traffic.
                  Webmaster:
                  @forumz

Comment

Well my current host offers Linux server hosting. Check this link out and let me know if I should be ok with the $3.75 plan. Would the 50MB be enough space? I'm only looking for forums, not a whole site or anything.

http://www.win2000hoster.com/comparisonl.html
                    Last edited by Chris Stewart; Thu 4 Oct '01, 3:54pm.
                    Console Racing Review

Comment

what link?

and one thing to remember, the cheaper you go, the cheaper you get. I would be very wary of any host offering a $4/month plan. There are likely going to be some hidden charges.
                      Webmaster:
                      @forumz

Comment

I've had the $1.75/month Win2000 plan for the past 6 months with no downtime. This place is great!
                        Console Racing Review

Comment

well, if you have good experience with them, I would do it.

the thing is, a forum is interactive, therefore more server intensive than static webpages. they may spank you for overusing resources if your forum gets popular.
                          Webmaster:
                          @forumz

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Stewart
                            Just as I thought, the current host I use doesn't have PHP installed. D'oh!
                            That would seem to eliminate it right there!
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I just got a new plan that does have PHP and MySQL. Now I'm just waiting for my info so I can start loading this baby up!
                              Console Racing Review

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X