X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrispadfield
    replied
    Yes they will make big changes in saving bandwidth with 90 users online and might reduce server load (custom avatars being turned off for example would) but not by a huge amount.

Leave a comment:

• PcosKat
    replied
    Great suggestions...

question...

will any of the suggestions make a difference with 90+ visitors on the board at one time?

I'm having major problems with my server, and if the fixes will help, I'll make them, but if I'm screwed due to high visitor load...I'll leave it alone...

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    All hacks have been moved to vbulletin.org. If you are clicking on a link to a hack, try changing the 'com' to 'org.

Note that to download hacks, you will also need to register at vb.org then register as a license holder here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/vbulletin.org.php

Leave a comment:

• MartynJ
    replied
    I would like to see those pages about custom avatars as files, as I am planning on using purely custom avatars, but each time I click on the links I am told I don't have permission. I have registered here and also own a vBulletin licence, so what gives?

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    Re: Re: Ways to save bandwidth.

Originally posted by neocivitas

Would these not be cached because they are stored in the database and not directly on the server and are sent as a result of a query not a file request?

I could be wrong and often am but this is how it looks to me.

Any more ideas?
    That is about it yes, the are called via a query id and not cached (by all browser, I think NS does cache them but can't remember preciously). But even so because they are unique being custom then less people have the same one so more bandwidth just because of this.

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    A cached javascript might well work well. With gzip on however the bandwidth affect of forumjump is going to be reduced quite a lot I would think but worth a try.

Leave a comment:

• Meirion
    replied
    forum jump

The forumjump bit interested me - but I suppose include a 40 row list of your forum names plus all the html code to go with would bump up the size of your post pages by quite a lot.

What about having the forum jump form as a javascript code-include (<script src="kdjdfkd"> or whatever) so then it would cache in the browser. I know my list of forums change infrequently and this could work quite well. Anyone think otherwise?

Leave a comment:

• neocivitas
    replied
    Re: Ways to save bandwidth.

Originally posted by chrispadfield

1) Encourage use of default avatars and not custom avatars (which don't appear to be cached by the browser. sorry could not find url discussing this)
    Would these not be cached because they are stored in the database and not directly on the server and are sent as a result of a query not a file request?

I could be wrong and often am but this is how it looks to me.

Any more ideas?

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    Originally posted by wooolF[RM]
    big thanx for tips! very usefull... I have over 30-35Gb of bandwith per month and these tips really helps!
    told you so

Leave a comment:

• wooolF[RM]
    replied
    big thanx for tips! very usefull... I have over 30-35Gb of bandwith per month and these tips really helps!

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    Originally posted by X-Fan
    What's the best setting to have gzip compression set to?

And any hints on conserving server space?
    Conserving server space will result in either the reduction in features or the reduction in performance. The biggest savings you can make are turning off attachments and custom avatars or lowering their limits. Other suggestions would be to stop people using private messages (or just set a low limit).

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Just set it to 1. Any more than this would be a waste of resources and provide almost no benefit.

Leave a comment:

• X-Fan
    replied
    What's the best setting to have gzip compression set to?

And any hints on conserving server space?

Leave a comment:

• AA_Guru
    replied
    Here's another suggestion:

I had altered the <body> replacement to include a custom jpeg background. In the process, it was used on every page. Changing the standardredirect and standarderror templates so that it had a body tag such as:
    Code:
    <body bgcolor="\{pagebgcolor\}" 
        text="#000000" id="all" 
        leftmargin="10" topmargin="10" 
        marginwidth="10" marginheight="10">
    (Note: omit the backslashes from pagebgcolor. The expression was being substituted without them.)

This prevented it from being affected by the more complex replacement that is used on the main site. My bandwidth usage went down about 10-15% because of this one change alone.

Leave a comment:

• nuno
    replied
    tx Chris

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X