Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the *best* ways to save bandwidth - especially if your forum is spidered - is to use a robots.txt file to disallow spiders from accessing your images. ie

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /forum/images/

AFAIK, that should prevent most spiders from accessing anything called up from the folder forum/images.

One of the most significant bandwidth savers, especially for the bigger forums.

Comment

clarification

Im confused on these two suggestions:
      1) Ensure that you do not have NO CACHE headers set on in your settings

**does this mean set that option to 'yes' or 'no'?**

2) Reduce the number of threads displayed on forumdisplay and the number of posts displayed in showthread

**How/where do I do this?**

Comment

1) Set it to NO in Admin CP, vB Options.

2) You can set this in Admin CP, vB Options as well.

Comment

where do I find this robot.txt?

Comment

Originally posted by rake
            Rubbish server? I'm sorry, but i have to disagree. Rackshack offer the best unmanaged dedicated servers you can find. 25% (maybe a bit exaggerated) of the hosting companies use rackshack servers. They are not rubbish servers, uh-uh.

http://www.rackshack.net/english/aboutus/networks.asp
            decent....

This page proves what Steve aid:
            http://leknor.com/code/gziped.php
            Notice that the difference between gzip 1 and 9 is in most cases minimal.
            I think "rudbbish" was referring to to the files being kept on the extra server, not the server itself. I could be wrong.
            MODern ENGINEuity
            Modular Powered Community

Automotive Books, Movies, Games and More!

Comment

Originally posted by TheComputerGuy
              where do I find this robot.txt?
              You create an empty file called robot.txt and upload it to your home directory with the commands you want.

Comment

My tip: for those who can live without it, make vBulletin_logo.gif a 1x1 transparent GIF89a. Not having to offer that up regularly will be bound to save pipe.

(If anyone actually wants to do this, PM me and I'll send the GIF along.)
                http://mattdrury.net/bbs (since 1984)

Comment

Bandwidth is cheap now days ;-)

Comment

Does allowing users to post images using IMG tags use a lot of bandwidth?

Comment

No, it uses none of your bandwidth, it use another sites bandwidth.
                      Christopher Padfield
                      Web Based Helpdesk
                      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

wow, thanks for the fast reply! I appreciate it

Comment

hotlinking is dirty...

I found something like 200,000 requests to images on my site over the course of one day.

They were all from a forum on runboard.com ... they hotlink to other people's emoticons and have them for use on their forums.

A very good idea is to htaccess your images/ directory to prevent this kind of bandwidth theft.
                          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by kall
                            I found something like 200,000 requests to images on my site over the course of one day.

They were all from a forum on runboard.com ... they hotlink to other people's emoticons and have them for use on their forums.

A very good idea is to htaccess your images/ directory to prevent this kind of bandwidth theft.
                            Wouldn't hot link protection do the trick?

Comment

I'm a tad confused myself when looking at the robots.txt samples posted here. None seem to match the files in my vb3.0.1 installation. Is there a more recent sample? I want to restrict spiders to publically visible forums and threads, but at the same time, keep them away from images, anything relating to loggin in, editing, and the like, as well as the admincp and modcp. Thanks for any assistance you give.
                              House of Night Forums - An online House of Night roleplaying community,

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan McBain
                                Wouldn't hot link protection do the trick?
                                Yeah, sorry...

'htaccess protect your images directory'...because you may have other directories with images in that you don't want to protect.
                                My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X