Can members reserve avatars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hehe, cool.

Btw, I think your memners can bypass this by creating a custom form on their computer, making sure the avatarid is what they want, and then submit.
    If it's that important to you I will make some code to prevent that.
    Chen Avinadav
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

Thats cool FF. Nice job.

Comment

I'm not quite sure what you mean FF. Do you mean that they could save the images, upload them somewhere else and then link to them?

I don't think this has to be a completely water tight solution. It's just that a few disputes were arising over some of the most popular avatars. Lots of people were using the same ones and my members like to be able to recognise each other from their avatar alone. There's plenty to go round so there shouldn't be a problem for quite a while yet.

I think this code gets the job done very nicely, but maybe other people would benefit from the modified version. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

What I mean is, they can write a form in plain HTML, that will trigger the member.php file, with an avatarid that they're not supposed to be able to select.
          I hope I make sense.
          Chen Avinadav
          Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

Ah, yes that does make sense. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I think if anyone wants to go to that much trouble to get the avatar they want they deserve to have it

I doubt that many people would know where to start though.

Comment

Doh! I've just noticed a problem with this hack - when you visit the register.php page there's an error in it. The report says...

Line: 1105
              Char: 5
              Error: 'document.forms.0avatarsel.selectedIndex' is null or not an object
              Code: 0

Any idea how to fix that?

Comment

great Idea,

wouldn´t that be a good idea to integrate in vb3?

joergh

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker
                  Doh! I've just noticed a problem with this hack - when you visit the register.php page there's an error in it. The report says...

Line: 1105
                  Char: 5
                  Error: 'document.forms.0avatarsel.selectedIndex' is null or not an object
                  Code: 0

Any idea how to fix that?
                  i'm trying for ya buddy ( i share your drama )....
                  But I don't think this hacked caused it, because a few others with the same issue don't have this hack installed, and neither did I.

I'm kinda guessing it has something to do with the DB's inturpretation of the avatar#... and there is no avatar0 which should be clear_avatar.gif...

but that is a crazy shot in the dark, and i have no clue how to fix it if it's correct.

Comment

I will continue to say, I rigged my own custom way of doing this a while back, and I love this idea, and if I ever fix my issue, i'll probably try this code out too.

(i.e. my way was putting min posts to use up to 5000, and manually adding the avatar for my users)...

so any thing better than that (almost everything) is welcome.

Comment

Well I got the impression that it was caused by the number of avatars I was using (611) so I asked over on the new VB hacking forum how I'd go about removing the avatar selection menu from register.php and Firefly told me all I had to do was edit the adult/coppa registration template and remove $avatarbit. That has corrected the problem so I'm happy to leave things like that whether the error was caused by the hack or if it was there to begin with.

People can register then choose their avatar from their profile later on - which is a much easier way of seeing what's available anyway.

More info here - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...t=register.php

and here...

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...t=register.php

Hope it helps

Comment

I hate sounding like I dont know what I am doing,
                        but I can not find member.php can some one please give me a little more info on where it is. (kind of new at this)

Thanks

Comment

No probs, it's in the uploads folder of your VB package and should go in your forum folder when you put it on your server. It's not hidden away in the subfolders so you should be able to find it easily. Oh and remember to use Notepad to edit it rather than an HTML editor. Hope that helps.

Comment

I would *not* recommend using Notepad to edit it either - use a real text editor, such as EditPlus or TextPad.

Comment

What about something that'd do the following:

User A uploads their custom avatar.
                              User B likes it, saves it to disk, and uploads it for themself(tries to).
                              Forum sees the 2 avatars as being the same, and doesn't let User B use the avatar.
                              Seriously! - The Definitive Home of All Things Serious
                              Seriously! Forums

To recieve support on these forums, enter your username here.

Comment

Unique/Reserved Avatars from Stock Selection

Upon a user selecting a stock avatar from those I have uploaded, I want the avatar to be exclusive to that user. The stock avatar would not be available for selection by another user, thus avoiding multiple users displaying the same avatar. Can this be done in vBulletin? I found a the mod in this thread, but it does not seem to be compatible with the current version, as I could not find the referenced code.
                                THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
                                A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X