How do I..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I..........

1) Set up a forum allowing reply posts but no new threads.
    2) Set up a forum with no posts or replies but allows the sub forums to accept posts and replies.

I found this in my vBulletin backup folder....

Hack for allowing olny first post to have to be authenticated, but not the replies..... (note: good for news room)

In newreply.php find:

PHP:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    $visible=!$foruminfo[moderatenew];--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

replace with:

PHP:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // make all replies visible WL 18-Mar-2001
    $visible=1;
    // End Mod--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I cannot figure out if I actually used this or not.

Any suggestions.
    Thank You.

You can accomplish both with forum permissions: usergroups & permissions -> modify forums.

Simply change the permissions for the forum(s) in question for the usergroups you wish to prevent from posting -- there's options for both new threads and replies.

Comment

Ah Yes......

Thank You Ed.

I remember now that I've read your post.

Thanks for the very fast help. Much appreciated.

Comment

Another situation.

I have my news forum setup through permissions for the registered users. I have it set so that they cannot create new threads, but can post replies.

When I log in as a registered member it doesn't allow me to do either.

Does this have something to do with the enable mask setting?

Thank You,

Comment

There's 2 "Can reply" settings -- make sure you have them both correctly set (one is for own threads, one is for others' threads).

Comment

Hi Ed..

Thanks Ed. Thanks again for bringing Who's Online back to vBulletin also. This program is a pleasure to work with.

I understand now. It is working great.

Ed, I set up a cron to back up my .sql file each evening. When I try to transport the file to the machine here it tells me that the file should be transported in binary not ascii. Is this correct? Each time I try to transport the file in ascii it warns me of this.

Just wondering what form the file should be copied as.

Thanks again,
            no hurry on the response. much appreciated.
            Last edited by Hooper; Thu 20 Sep '01, 5:41am.

Comment

If you're not tar'ing/gzip'ing the .sql file, then it's just plain text so ASCII should be fine.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X