Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem (urgent!): many users cannot reply to existing topics

Hi,

we are currently using vb2.0.0 on Apache 1.3.14/php 4.0.6/MySQL 3.23.40 on a Linux 2.2 machine.

Many users report problems that they are unable to reply to existing topics (we did NOT have this problem since we started the board, it only recently appeared). Whenever you want to reply to a topic and press "Submit Reply" button, the browser sends the request but never seems to get any data back so the request eventually times out showing the browsers error page.

However, these users seem to be able to create new threads. Also everything else works very swiftly, including "Preview Post".

Some users also complained about receiving multiple notifications of new posts but when they checked the forum there wasn't a new message there. I assume these two problems could be related.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to determine a pattern when one can post replies or not. What I noticed was that for the table session only the .frm file exits (even after I flushed the tables) and that I cannot do a REPAIR or ANALYZE. But a SELECT * FROM session; does show me the current sessions. In the vb Control Panel 'Simultaneous sessions limit' is set to '0'.

The server load is minimal (< 0.5) and there are enough "free" httpd processes and mysql connections. Also if I look at the mysql processlist all running threads are sleeping, there are no long running queries or locks etc.
    I also installed 2.0.3 in parallel (to use the same db) but I get the same problems.

Is this a known problem? Anyone any clues why this is happening?

We need to solve this problem asap because for many users the board system is becoming a pain to use.

Any support very much appreciated.

I can't really tell what causes the error. But may the upgrade to 2.0.3 will help. Upgrading to 2.0.3 is also recommended due to security reasons. Read the following thread to know more:

http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=24116
    Ueli

Comment

I just want to reiterate how important it is that you upgrade to 2.0.3 as soon as possible. If you still have this problem after upgrading, report it here.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Try turning off the email features and see if it still happens.

Comment

I updated to 2.0.3. Unfortunately that didn't help.

Now I turned the email feature off and we'll see if this works. However turning it off can't be a long term solution because our users rely on that and we'd probably start to lose a lot of traffic.

Comment

Do you have a URL and a test account so we can check it out?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Turning email notifications off seems to have solved the problem as far as I can tell (and we have not received anymore complaints).

I guess this also explains why people could post a new topic but could reply to existing ones (because nobody gets notified when you post a new topic).

Could someone with 100+ peak time user sessions let me know how many concurrent sendmail session they allow to run (all runnning on a single box)?

Has anyone ever had a similar problem (please read my first post) with too few sendmails being available and causing the described problem?

Thanks.

Comment

I have the same problem now with 2.3.0.

When i disable email notifications the users can post replies, when email notifications are enabled nobody can post replies.

Is there another way to make vb work while keeping email notifications enabled?

.costin

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=71790

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X