How do I backup and move to new server, if I don't know how to "telnet"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I backup and move to new server, if I don't know how to "telnet"

First off I don't even really know what telnet is besides some command line based thingy.

My host is switching servers, and the dumb f*cks are making me waste my time is backing up MY stuff and moving it to their servers. I mean WTF. Anyhow in my control panel for my HOST they have a button labeled "download today's backup"

I would think this would download the VB database too, but I have no idea. I am a newbie when it comes to all this stuff, and Im worried Im going to lose my entire forum when I do this stupid move.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance.

Signed, Noobie

I doubt the Control Panel backup will include the vB database. Frankly it sounds like your host is being incredibly unreasonable about this. Since they are the ones switching servers, it's really their responsibility to move all the necessary fils, etc. It's unreasonable for them to make their customers do this.

Since you have to make the move anyway, I'd suggest you find yourself a more customer-friendly host. Meanwhile, there's no easy way to backup and restore a database without shell access (via telnet or SSH.) Since you don't know how to do this, it sounds like you may have to offer to pay someone to help you.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Re: How do I backup and move to new server, if I don't know how to "telnet"

Originally posted by Gutspiller
      First off I don't even really know what telnet is besides some command line based thingy.

My host is switching servers, and the dumb f*cks are making me waste my time is backing up MY stuff and moving it to their servers. I mean WTF. Anyhow in my control panel for my HOST they have a button labeled "download today's backup"

I would think this would download the VB database too, but I have no idea. I am a newbie when it comes to all this stuff, and Im worried Im going to lose my entire forum when I do this stupid move.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance.

Signed, Noobie
      who's your web host? have you read this http://vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

sounds like you have cpanel? the backup for today is for your site only if it's indeed cpanel. Not iincluding your mysql databases (if you have more than 1 mysql database)

i'd say ask you host but if they aren't help i'd say more to somewhere else
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

ok, Im going to ask my host to do it for me. Or at least asking them first. But I wanted to at least "just in case" they screw something up.

I wanted to have a backup.

I have go to the backup section in the admin CP and have downloaded the "SQL Dump of data" and I made sure all the radio buttons were clicked to yes.

I then downloaded the file to my PC.

I have downloaded my entire forum directory that contains all the php files.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks for any help.

Comment

That should be it. Just to be on the safe side though, I'd do one or two more database backups and download these to your PC as well. This is further insurance just in case the first backup is bad.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
            That should be it. Just to be on the safe side though, I'd do one or two more database backups and download these to your PC as well. This is further insurance just in case the first backup is bad.
            Are backups from the admin CP dump data backup sometimes bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Gutspiller
              Are backups from the admin CP dump data backup sometimes bad?
              I don't know. I backup everything from the shell.

However in principle and file can turn out to be bad. It could have been corrupted during the download for instance.

As for myself, I'm just plain paranoid. I have multiple backups on multiple machines. Better safe that sorry!
              Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              Last edited by Steve Machol; Wed 29 Aug '01, 12:50pm.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

It could also be, that by doing it through your browser, that it times out and you got not the whole file. This can happen if the connection is too busy.
                Ueli

Comment

It would be more likely that PHP times out while sending the information.

Comment

Erm...that was what I meant. Just didn't write it right last night...
                    Ueli

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X