Difficulty with new server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty with new server

I am currently running ver 2.0.1 on a server that had problems with the vBulletin attachment scripts (these were subsequently modified so that at least I could get the forum to work). This version does not allow atachments such as avatars to be uploaded.

My server-guy then configured a new server with the latest php version and installed a brand new 2.0.3 version on the new server. Everything worked "out of the can" without modification, including the attachments. Unfortunately, he has been unable to "dump" the version 2.0.1 database into the 2.0.3 forum, getting something like, "the database already exists" error message. To date, he has not been able to get the new 2.0.3 version to accept the 2.0.1 database.

Is there a protocol for importing forum catagories, posts and threads from one version of vBulletin to another on seperate servers?

My site is www.darkmillennia.net/forum (ver 2.0.1) You can email the technical guy at [email protected] for technical specifics if necessary.

Thanks for the support.
    dcster

this is what you need to do assuming for example

dbname1 = is the vb 2.0.1 database name
    dbname2 = is the current vb 2.0.3 database name you host created
    dbname3 = is the new database you will create with no tables in it
    root = mysql username
    password = mysql password

vb 2.0.3 contains changes to the database from 2.0.1 as well changes in the php files ->http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=24116

to get it all working
    1. close your forum from the public

2. make a new mysql back/dump file from the vB 2.0.1 database named dbname1

mysqladmin --opt -u root -p dbname1 > /path/to/backup.sql

3. now create a new database named dbname3

4. import the backup.sql you just created into dbname3

mysql -u root -p dbname3 < /path/to/backup.sql

this will mean dbname3 has a vb 2.0.1 database structure

5. upload all your vb 2.0.3 php files except install.php if you haven't already or if you already have the vb 2.0.3 php files leave as is

6. change your config.php (vb 2.0.3 version to point to dbname3 database)

7. then run the upgrade11.php script in the admin area. Then run upgrade12.php. When you are done, be sure to delete all the upgradex.php scripts. This upgrades you from vb 2.0.1 to 2.0.3

8. then you're done, check your database and forum works etc and then delete dbname2

You can leave dbname1 your original there if you want for a while to make sure your forum with dbname3 is working and stuff

essentially that's how i always upgrade my forums
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll have my tech-guy get on it right away!

dcster

Comment

still having problems

<!-- Database error in vBulletin: Invalid SQL: INSERT INTO session (sessionhash,userid,host,useragent,lastactivity,styleid) VALUES ('fb137239044b3d9350f7ea69fb4ab607',0,'192.168.235.126','Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)','999104975',1)
        mysql error:
        mysql error number: 0
        Date: Wednesday 29th of August 2001 01:09:35 PM
        Script: /forum/
        Referer: http://darkmillennia.net/contents.htm
        -->

using PHP v4.0.6
        Last edited by driverant; Wed 29 Aug '01, 10:55am.

Comment

Re: still having problems

Originally posted by driverant
          <!-- Database error in vBulletin: Invalid SQL: INSERT INTO session (sessionhash,userid,host,useragent,lastactivity,styleid) VALUES ('fb137239044b3d9350f7ea69fb4ab607',0,'192.168.235.126','Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)','999104975',1)
          mysql error:
          mysql error number: 0
          Date: Wednesday 29th of August 2001 01:09:35 PM
          Script: /forum/
          Referer: http://darkmillennia.net/contents.htm
          -->

using PHP v4.0.6
          I'm not sure why you didn't start a new thread for this; can you please enter your license info in to your profile? Thanks!

Comment

Driverant is my tech-guy. He's the one that is actually doing the server configuration for me. He reports that he tried the above protocol, and essentially got the same error as before. He quoted the error as it appeared after doing the proscribed transfer protocol, in the hopes that it would shed some light on the problem we are experiencing.

Sorry for the confusion.

dcster

Comment

what, exactly, where you doing at the time?

It looks like table corruption, which is easily remedied, but it's hard to tell without knowing what step you were at.

Have you tried emptying the session table before doing the transfer? There is no data stored in this table that will affect the operation of the board.
              Webmaster:
              @forumz

Comment

My tech-guy has thrown up his hands on this one. He can't seem to get the ver. 2.0.1 forum database exported to the ver 2.0.3 forum on the new server.

Is there a way that the vBulletin staff could attempt to do this, if the proper access were provided?

I know you offer help on installation, but I'm not sure if you guys do this sort of thing.

PLEASE HELP!!!

dcster

Comment

there were some index changes between 2.0.1 and 2.0.3 IIRC.

have you tried installing 2.0.1, then running the upgrade?
                  Webmaster:
                  @forumz

Comment

Hi Martin!

I don't know if that has been tried or not. I'll contact the tech-guy and see if he's attempted that.

dcster

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X