Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HTML code for webtrends tracker...where do I put it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTML code for webtrends tracker...where do I put it?

Hi. I want to add the webtrends tracker to my forum, but where do I put it in? Thanks in advance.

Where can we find the webtrends tracker?
    We need to see the code.
    Chen Avinadav
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

umm... www.webtrends.com

Most people put it in the footer template. This will only track page views if the page is completely loaded though.

If your layout allows it you might want to put it in the header template so that is parsed earlier and counts partial page views as well.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by wluke
        umm... www.webtrends.com
        If your layout allows it you might want to put it in the header template so that is parsed earlier and counts partial page views as well.
        But that wouldn't be a true page view. I often wonder how many of the figures that people give out regarding the number of pageviews on their site are really accurate. In my opinion, the only pageview that should be counted is one that is fully loaded and is a real page that visitors look at, ie, NOT avatar.php, global.php, addclick.php, etc, etc. This is especially true when you're talking to advertisers.

This is in no way aimed at you Wayne. I'm know your stats are all above board. I'm referring to the people that frequent other forums and say things like.. "hey, my site's been up 2 weeks and I'm already getting 20,000 pageviews a day, without even submitting to the search engines!"

PS. Webtrends Live is great! I don't know what I'd do without it.
        http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

Guess I'm the only one around who doesn't know Webtrends.
          Chen Avinadav
          Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

Hey thanks everyone. And FireFly, webtrends is the best tracker I've ever come across (for free anyway). Tracks everything I need and breaks it down. Thanks again

Comment

*firefly goes to the local store and gets a brand new webtrends tracker*
              Chen Avinadav

Comment

best place is the footer.. i use to use webtrendslive but it sometimes slowed the page loading
                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that you won't get entirely accurate stats "out of the box"...They truncate URLs at the ? so you will see 2000 visits to forumdisplay.php, e.g., but you won't be able to tell which forums they are visiting.

To get around this, you need a bit of creative editing. Thanks to Kier for helping me with this a few weeks ago.

You'll need the code from the "Use an Include File to Implement Your Code" link in the Webtrends Admin area.

You'll separate the Webtrends code into two parts - the first part starts with
                  Code:
                  <!--
                  // You may customize the values
                  and ends with
                  Code:
                  //-->
                  </SCRIPT>
                  Within that is a section that is the following:
                  Code:
                  //-->
                  </SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
                  <!--
                  Get rid of it.
                  Save this first part as track.js (or whatever else so long as it is a .js file).

In that file, find the line
                  W+="&url="+escape(window.document.URL);
                  and replace
                  window.document.URL
                  with
                  js_scriptpath

The second part of the WT code starts with
                  <NOSCRIPT>
                  and ends with
                  </NOSCRIPT>
                  This part will eventually end up in your footer, so hang onto it for the moment.

Put the following in your phpinclude template:
                  Code:
                  $myscriptpath=ereg_replace("s=[a-z0-9]{32}&","",$scriptpath);
                  $myscriptpath=ereg_replace("\\?s=[a-z0-9]{32}","",$myscriptpath);
                  $myscriptpath=str_replace("s=&", "", $myscriptpath);
                  $myscriptpath=preg_replace("/[\?\&]/",";",$myscriptpath);
                  $myscriptpath="http://www.example.com/forumfolder".$myscriptpath;
                  and change out http://www.example.com/forumfolder for your actual path to the forums folder.

Then, add
                  Code:
                  <script language="javascript">js_scriptpath = "$myscriptpath";</script>
                  <script language="javascript" src="track.js"></script>
                  <NOSCRIPT>
                  [put your code here]
                  </NOSCRIPT>
                  in your footer template (or whereever you want it to appear). Replace track.js with the name of the file that you created earlier, and make sure you substitute the NOSCRIPT code they give you in between the <NOSCRIPT> tags.
                  Last edited by tubedogg; Thu 23 Aug '01, 11:31pm.

Comment

wow kevin and that works?
                    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

No, I just figured I'd post it and see if people would get frustrated trying to make it work.

Yes, it works, George.

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
                        No, I just figured I'd post it and see if people would get frustrated trying to make it work.

Yes, it works, George.
                        LOL.. well you won't see me try that

Comment

Since I helped Kevin with his webtrends tracker a few weeks ago, I've put in my own one on one of my busier boards at http://kier.3dfrontier.com/forums/

Feel free to copy the code from there if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Kier
                            Since I helped Kevin with his webtrends tracker a few weeks ago, I've put in my own one on one of my busier boards at http://kier.3dfrontier.com/forums/

Feel free to copy the code from there if you like.
                            thanks.. right now i'm content with download my raw logs and running them through faststats log analyser from www.mach5.com

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg
                              One thing to keep in mind is that you won't get entirely accurate stats "out of the box"...They truncate URLs at the ? so you will see 2000 visits to forumdisplay.php, e.g., but you won't be able to tell which forums they are visiting.

To get around this, you need a bit of creative editing. Thanks to Kier for helping me with this a few weeks ago.
                              Nice hack! That's the one thing that has always annoyed me about Webtrends Live.
                              http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X