vBulletin (forum) Database error!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin (forum) Database error!

My email box gets more than a thousand of these per day....is this normal? - to get this error on the board? Here is what it says:
    -----------------------------------
    Database error in vBulletin: Link-ID == false, connect failed
    mysql error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)
    mysql error number: 2002
    Date: Sunday 19th of August 2001 10:46:21 AM
    Script: /board/forumdisplay.php?forumid=2&daysprune=30&sortorder=&sortfield=lastpost&perpage=40&pagenumbe r=7

ANY IDEA'S what this is?

Thanks!
    ~Susan

Who is your hosting provider? It's indicating that the MySQL database for you site is down.
    Rob

Comment

My host in candidhosting.com

So this error means it is not the forum, it is the server, right?

~Susan

Comment

Chances are, the problem is with your hosting provider's MySQL database. I would contact your hosting provider and find out if they are or anyone else is experiencing problems.
        Rob

Comment

Basically, my host told me to take down UBB because it was crashing the server, so I went with VB, now he is telling me I need to take down VB because it is crashing the server, and only a super computer can handle my site with VB? What should I do? Now, he is recommending UB2K!?

~Susan

Comment

Susan,

How large is your site? In particular how many users are generally on at one time and what is the largest number you've had? It may be that your site is too large to weork on a shared server.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Tell him that MySQL isn't configured properly on their servers.
              Rob

Comment

ask you host what kind of server you're hosted on?

single pentium 3 or dual pentium 3 ?
                what speed?
                memory?
                hard drive type eide or scsi?
                apache version?
                php version?
                mysql version?
                mysql configuration in their /etc/my.cnf file or via

this command in telnet as root user

mysqladmin -u root -p variables

also extended-status output

mysqladmin -u root -p extended-status

copy and past output here

how many sites are sharing this server?

also Susanweb1, what is your vB stats?

pageviews/day
                visitors/day
                average and peak concurrent users?
                other scripts installed? i.e. banner script, etc?

even point your web host to this thread if you need to

And please be kind enough to enter your vB license info as required here http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=22736
                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I am on a dedicated server, not shared..and the bandwidth is about 800GB a month.

BUT, the forum only maxed at about 350 concurrent users....

My server is a unix server on FreeBSD Apache
                  1 GB Ram
                  866 Pentium
                  Scsi harddrive
                  *not sure about the versions of PHP and mysql, but I think they are the latest.*

Comment

Where do I enter my VB license info?

Comment

Originally posted by Susanweb1
                      User CP -> Edit Profile
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

last 3 fields here http://vbulletin.com/forum/member.ph...on=editprofile

thanks
                        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

K, entered.

Comment

I am on a dedicated server, not shared..and the bandwidth is about 800GB a month.

BUT, the forum only maxed at about 350 concurrent users....

My server is a unix server on FreeBSD Apache
                            1 GB Ram
                            866 Pentium
                            Scsi harddrive
                            *not sure about the versions of PHP and mysql, but I think they are the latest.*
                            hmmm if you're leasing/renting a dedicated, you web host has no say in what forum script you run, only advice for you on what to run.

i remember you talking about this site of your with 800GB and with 350 concurrents just for the forum and if i take a wild stab at a guestimate of traffic

800gb / 80kb per page would equal = approx. 10.5 million pageviews/month?

would that equate to 1 - 2 million uniques per month?

Okay.
                            1. i believe FreeBSD does have a mysql problem not sure?
                            2. you're current set up isn't handling the load well maybe upgrading to dual p3 1ghz with 2 - 3 gb ram?
                            3. mysql needs fine tuning or moving to a 2nd dedicated server acting as a dedicated mysql server or at least moving to a 2nd separate scsi disk on your current server?

if you can't post a link to your site or provide certain info on this forum, pm me instead

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X