X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    800 users is acheivable.

You may find that you need a second server though for MySQL. Being a database server it is resource intensive. I recommend that the database server always be on a separate machine for large sites. As it is, MySQL will be sucking up the available RAM and probably forcing you to use more swap file than necessary.

The first thing you should do is optimize your server. This includes Apache, MySQL and PHP. This can include everything from changing ini settings to recompiling.

Some things you might want to do to make your forum run more efficiently right now is to

Turn off the online user's listing on forumhome

If you have a lot of forums, turn off the dynamic forum jump box and hardcode it in the templates.

Install the hack to save avatars as files or turn off Avatars.

There are more but optimization is totally dependant on the server and what is installed there so it can't be listed here. If you check Eva's signature he has links to several articles on optimizing MySQL.

Leave a comment:

• Mortin
    replied
    geez susan

800 people on your forum.. i think you're overestimating that by a LOT

and if he can crash apache running perl.. than that is one leet kiddie. there are no known exploits for perl or php atm.

Leave a comment:

• Susanweb1
    replied
    It is Version 2, I was thinking of UBB.

~Susan

Leave a comment:

• Toibs
    replied
    Originally posted by Susanweb1
    Well, I "just" installed VB last night, it was down until a few hours ago...then back down to install more RAM. Is has been officially online without problems for 30 minutes, in that 30 minutes, so far we have peaked at 202 concurrent users. (sure to increase)...just not sure how much.

~Susan
    Susan,

We go through periods of 300 concurrent users on our P3/850 with 512M ram.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Susan,

What version of vBulletin are you using? The information in your user profile is invalid as there is no version 6 of vBulletin. Please update your profile by clicking on the user cp button above.

Once you have entered the valid information in we can help you more. Don't worry confidential customer information is kept private and only available to staff members.

Leave a comment:

• Toibs
    replied
    Re: is Vbulletin POWERFUL?

Does anyone knowif Vbulletin is powerful (same or more than) UBB? Is a php board able to handle large loads....is there a number of live users it can handle without slacking?

Thanks
    ~Susan
    Well i moved from Ubb to Vb as the server (dedicated 850Mhz/512Mb Rh6.2) was NOT handling too well at all (continual server crashes due to overloading)....

Now running on exactly the same box, and it seems fine other than the occasional swapfile "cough".

We have 10K registered members, and push anywhere between 5 and 10 gig a day

Paul
    www.thedvdforums.com

Leave a comment:

• Susanweb1
    replied
    Well, I "just" installed VB last night, it was down until a few hours ago...then back down to install more RAM. Is has been officially online without problems for 30 minutes, in that 30 minutes, so far we have peaked at 202 concurrent users. (sure to increase)...just not sure how much.

~Susan

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    well i know vB using php is alot better than cgi/perl

if vB does crash for you most likely it will be on the mysql server side..

how many users concurrently do you have at peaks and averages?

how many pageviews/day?

Leave a comment:

• Susanweb1
    replied
    Thank you Eva, you have been a WONDERFUL help.

I have one last question...with my other UBB, there was a person who claimed to be crashing it...talking about CGI being easy to crash, etc....

Do you know if people can crash the VB boards as well?

Thanks
    ~Susan

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    well i think you need some serious hardware to back it up.. yes with vB and some server mods you'll have bandwidth reduced by 20 - 30%

suggestions.

1. get a 2 server setup
    1 web server for php/html/email + 1 web server dedicated to mysql database

maybe a dual p3 1ghz with 2gb ram for web server, with mod_gzip installed and php 4.06 compiled with gd and zlib support

and a dual p3 1ghz with 2gb ram for a database server with fast scsi disks maybe 15,000 rpm ones

2. have mysql 3.23.38 and above = 3.23.41 installed

check out some other large 2 server setup forums at http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=biggest

http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...highlight=dual

www.bigbigsavings.com

www.fanhome.com

www.vbulletin.com

www.paintballcity.com
    Last edited by George L; Wed 15 Aug '01, 10:35am.

Leave a comment:

• Susanweb1
    replied
    The bandwidth was for the UBB forum, which my host said PERL was a resource hog..my bandwidth may go down with VB since I assume it isn't a resource hog?

~Susan

Leave a comment:

• Joe
    replied
    I think a gig of ram would be enough for 150 concurrent users (it should actualy be good for ~450 peak users). However, im still at a loss for the 800gig of monthly bandwidth, are these from forum attachments, or non-forum related downloads? I just cant see how a forum could put out that much data

Leave a comment:

• Susanweb1
    replied
    Its an adult forum, so I would prefer to not post that here.

Eva, the stats of the server are:

cpu - p3 750, 800 etc ?

memory
    512 (about to upgrade to 1GB)

disk type - scsi, eide?
    scsi3

apache version?

php version?
    Version 4.0.6

mysql version - /etc/my.cnf settings or mysql variables, mysql

extended-status output?
    unknown

cpu/memory top stats?
    unknown

Is that what ya need?

Leave a comment:

• deltawolf
    replied
    Whats the url to your board?

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    Ok, also...I called my host and my server only has 512 RAM...does that sound like it could be a big problem with crashing? It appears to run out of RAM, then out of the "backup"?

If I upgraded to 1GB, do you think that would help alot?

Thanks
    ~Susan
    i think you're having the same problems as here http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=25439

i'd need

cpu - p3 750, 800 etc ?
    memory
    disk type - scsi, eide?
    apache version?
    php version?
    mysql version - /etc/my.cnf settings or mysql variables, mysql extended-status output?
    cpu/memory top stats?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X