is Vbulletin POWERFUL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is Vbulletin POWERFUL?

Does anyone knowif Vbulletin is powerful (same or more than) UBB? Is a php board able to handle large loads....is there a number of live users it can handle without slacking?

Thanks
    ~Susan

Its probably the most powerful. UBB is more expensive and it doesnt have the lightning fast MySQL database nor php. UBB Also has a bad admincenter layout and not many features for $249/year. When you can buy vBulletin for $160 or leave it for $85. Now try the admincenter demo here. Vbulletin is i would say in my own opinoin the best.

Comment

Ugh, I don't know what the problem is then...I removed my UBB because it was not handling the load well...so I installed VB, and it isn't handling either! My server was just rebooted and it was fine for a few minutes, once about 140 active users were on it, it slowed down, then was unresponsive....

Can this board handle HIGH TRAFFIC? (as in 800GB bandwidth a month)?

Thanks
      ~Susan

Comment

What are your server specs? When you say 800gig a month, is this just forum bandwidth? 140 concurrent users isnt much, there are a few members here that avg 250 - 300 users, peak ~ 600 concurrent users.

Your server may need some MySQL tuning, i dont have a clue how to do this, but others do, they can help you with that.
        Bike Forums.net

Comment

800 GB is for the forum....

The 140 users was minutes after the forum went back online, definitely NOT the peak..which is what I am afraid of.

So basically thought, the VB can handle the high bandwidth and 600 concurrent users with no probs?

~Susan

Comment

god dang how big of a forum do you run? FlashKit had vbulletin and they have lots of traffic and they seem to do very well

Comment

for that load you'd be looking at a 2 web server setup..

1 server for php/web server

1 server as a dedicated mysql database server
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Ok, also...I called my host and my server only has 512 RAM...does that sound like it could be a big problem with crashing? It appears to run out of RAM, then out of the "backup"?

If I upgraded to 1GB, do you think that would help alot?

Thanks
                ~Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Susanweb1
                  Ok, also...I called my host and my server only has 512 RAM...does that sound like it could be a big problem with crashing? It appears to run out of RAM, then out of the "backup"?

If I upgraded to 1GB, do you think that would help alot?

Thanks
                  ~Susan
                  i think you're having the same problems as here http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=25439

i'd need

cpu - p3 750, 800 etc ?
                  memory
                  disk type - scsi, eide?
                  apache version?
                  php version?
                  mysql version - /etc/my.cnf settings or mysql variables, mysql extended-status output?
                  cpu/memory top stats?
                  :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Whats the url to your board?

Comment

Its an adult forum, so I would prefer to not post that here.

Eva, the stats of the server are:

cpu - p3 750, 800 etc ?

memory
                      512 (about to upgrade to 1GB)

disk type - scsi, eide?
                      scsi3

apache version?

php version?
                      Version 4.0.6

mysql version - /etc/my.cnf settings or mysql variables, mysql

extended-status output?
                      unknown

cpu/memory top stats?
                      unknown

Is that what ya need?

Comment

I think a gig of ram would be enough for 150 concurrent users (it should actualy be good for ~450 peak users). However, im still at a loss for the 800gig of monthly bandwidth, are these from forum attachments, or non-forum related downloads? I just cant see how a forum could put out that much data
                        Bike Forums.net

Comment

The bandwidth was for the UBB forum, which my host said PERL was a resource hog..my bandwidth may go down with VB since I assume it isn't a resource hog?

~Susan

Comment

well i think you need some serious hardware to back it up.. yes with vB and some server mods you'll have bandwidth reduced by 20 - 30%

suggestions.

1. get a 2 server setup
                            1 web server for php/html/email + 1 web server dedicated to mysql database

maybe a dual p3 1ghz with 2gb ram for web server, with mod_gzip installed and php 4.06 compiled with gd and zlib support

and a dual p3 1ghz with 2gb ram for a database server with fast scsi disks maybe 15,000 rpm ones

2. have mysql 3.23.38 and above = 3.23.41 installed

check out some other large 2 server setup forums at http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=biggest

http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...highlight=dual

www.bigbigsavings.com

www.fanhome.com

www.vbulletin.com

www.paintballcity.com
                            Last edited by George L; Wed 15 Aug '01, 10:35am.

Comment

Thank you Eva, you have been a WONDERFUL help.

I have one last question...with my other UBB, there was a person who claimed to be crashing it...talking about CGI being easy to crash, etc....

Do you know if people can crash the VB boards as well?

Thanks
                              ~Susan

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X