• Show
Clear All

• username is already in use error

URL: www.muinteoiri.com/vb
    MySql: unsure
    PHP: 4+

======================

Hi,

cannot find similar Q. in other forums so ...

When registering a new user (eg. Joe Soap), it says "That username is already in use. If you are Joe Soap and you have forgotten your password, click here."

However, Joe Soap (or any name close to this, although there is another Joe) is not a registered member - I've checked the users list just in case ...

I've also tried other usernames but the problem persists

What might be happening here?

Also, can VB handle usernames like: Joe Smith, Joe Kelly, Joe Stack co-exist?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by seaghan; Mon 13 Aug '01, 8:38am.

Does this happen for any username?

I tried to register at your forums but it was awkward - since I'm not a teacher it didn't want me to

Yes vB should be able to handle usernames like that.

Comment

James,

yes - I've diverted the registration so that Head Office can validate whether registrants are indeed teachers (by matching name with a teacher number), and then they continue the registration from there ...

Thanks for trying with my problem.

I've just found the answer about 20 mins ago. I set up an illegal name called Joe O Toole, and when I removed this, it was able to register Joe Soap and Joe1234 etc.

It seems illegal names apply to each substring as well as the whole name.

Thanks again for your efforts - much appreciated.

Comment

I'm having this same problem. Just went live yesterday. What is an "illegal" name?
        Keystroke POS - "The Clear Choice in Retail Automation"

Comment

vBulletin Message
          That username is already in use. If you are Bat Boy and you have forgotten your password, click here.
          I had the same problem on a new installation of 2.2.4 yesterday. I had to search through over 25 pages of search results to find this answer.

In the vBulletin Options -> User and registration options -> Illegal User Names -> I had webmaster,Dave B which I see now uses space separaters instead of commas, so it was probably disallowing anything with a B in it.

This would have been a lot easier to solve if the message had stated that the username is reserverd or not allowed or somehow better matched it to the Illegal User Names settings than already in use does. Also, if {} are used like other censoring, that should be noted too on the CP options page.

Comment

Is there some way to fix this glaring bug?

I get e-mails about this all the time. If I want to prevent someone from registering "Bob", and I enter Bob in the Illegal user names section, someone can't register Bob Jones, BobJ, Bobby, BobBox20, etc.

Is there some way to tell Vbulletin that ONLY "Bob" is invalid? I tried the {} trick like the word censor, but it doesn't work. Please help!

J.R.
            Last edited by J.R. Rogers; Fri 26 Apr '02, 10:24am.

Comment

Did you try using quotation marks, i.e.,

"Bob"
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks... I'm so embarrassed. It worked.

J.R.

Comment

Originally posted by J.R. Rogers

Thanks... I'm so embarrassed. It worked.

J.R.
                  No problem! The quotation marks allow you to ban a user name with a space in it as well.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X