Simple "New Thread" Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple "New Thread" Question

I'd like a section on my forum for "Joke of the Day", which only I should be able to post to, as the administrator.. is this possible to set up? Would it be possible to disable the "New Thread" button?

I noticed that on Announcements on this vBulletin board there's still a New Thread button there.. even though the majority of users can't post to that section.. is there no way it can be disabled if the user isn't logged on as an administrator (or possibly moderator)?..

Re: Simple "New Thread" Question

Originally posted by bob_pitbull
    I'd like a section on my forum for "Joke of the Day", which only I should be able to post to, as the administrator.. is this possible to set up?
    Yes this is possible. Just modify the forum permissions so that no group can post to it except the Admin.

Admin CP -> User Groups and Permission -> Modify Forums

Would it be possible to disable the "New Thread" button?
    This is a bit trickier. I'm not sure of how to do this without some sort of hack. Frankly I'm not sure it would be worth all the trouble.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

new thread button

Ah ... I just don't like the message you get when you try to post to that forum. Say if I tried posting to Announcements now, I'd get a message saying something like "user not registered, or not permitted to post to this forum"... How does vBulletin not know the difference? Or at least doesn't have 2 separate messages.. I think it would be a little better if, once the user has logged in, it would just say "you are not permitted to post to this forum"..?

Actually, speaking of which, is there a way to make sure a user has logged on before he even gets to the forum?

Thanks for the help

Comment

Re: new thread button

Originally posted by bob_pitbull
        Actually, speaking of which, is there a way to make sure a user has logged on before he even gets to the forum?

Thanks for the help
        Just edit the forum permissions so that 'Unregistered/Not logged in' can't view that forum.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

doh!

Sorry, I just found that whole section of the setup :-). It's got loads of the things I wanted in there :-). eg. not allowing polls to be submitted by registered users.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X