• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a bug?

In lines 56-58 of newreply.php:

PHP Code:
    if (!$permissions[canview] or !$permissions[canreplyown]) {

show_nopermission();

Why would you need to be able to reply to your own thread to post a reply? (Considering this isn't your thread).
    Visual Basic, HTML, PHP, SQL, ASP, JavaScript, C++, Perl

PHP 4.0.6
    MySQL 3.23.39
    Windows 2000

Um...I'm not quite sure I understand your question, but the basic answer is that it's not a bug. There's a permission setting where you can start threads but not reply to them.

Comment

But if the permission setting is where you can reply to others threads, but not start your own. You can not reply to any threads, because this checks if you can reply to your own before you can reply to anything. So to allow somebody to just reply to others threads, you must either change the code, or allow them to reply to their own threads. And that doesn't make much sense if you disallow them to post threads.

PHP 4.0.6
      MySQL 3.23.39
      Windows 2000

Comment

Hmm...after further review I believe you're right. It's still not a bug as it was done intentionally, but I personally am not sure it's done correctly...I think canreplyown and canreplyothers should probably be equal, as opposed to needing to pass canreplyown to even get to canreplyothers.

That said I can't forsee anytime that allowing people to reply to other's threads but not their own would be needed...keep in mind they don't have to be able to start new threads to reply, so you could leave canreplyothers on yes and it wouldn't affect anything.

Comment

I know you can turn the setting to reply to your own threads on, but it took me nearly 15 minutes to figure out what was going on... Anyway, here is the thread where the issue of only being able to reply to others threads came up.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=24317

PHP 4.0.6
          MySQL 3.23.39
          Windows 2000

Comment

Working...
          X