Dumb newbie SQL dump questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb newbie SQL dump questions

I'm getting ready to upgrade to 2.0.3 for obvious reasons. I've just completed a SQL dump from the admin control panel. I'm just wondering if the backup.php file generated will be fully sufficient. I'm asking because the 2.0.3 thread mentioned mysqldump as the safest backup method. But if I clicked 'Do Backup' in control panel & got a backup.php file successfully, and w/o any timeouts, will that be just as sufficient?

Another point of confusion on my part is the recommendation of "a tool such as phpMyAdmin" on the members download page. Since vB already provides a database backup page in control panel, why is it necessary to recommend another backup utility? Does phpMyAdmin somehow save more data or work more efficiently?

As I indicated in the subject, these are undoubtedly dumb questions to most of you, but I want to make that sure a CP-generated backup will be sufficient before doing the upgrade.

(One more thing: I'm using a virtual server. I don't think that'll be a factor but wanted to mention it to be safe.)

TIA

An SQL dump can be done from the command line (you'll need to either telnet/SSH to your host)

Use the following method to dump your database:

Code:
    mysqldump -u username -p your_database_name > backup-filename.sql
    Make sure you use > and not < (otherwise you'll attempt to insert the contents of the file, and not dump the file)

Phpmyadmin is a web based tool for using mySQL, viewing your database and its contents. If you search these forums there are plently of posts on where to get it from, and more information on MYSQLDUMP.
    HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
    -
    Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X