Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum available to members only

Hi,

I know this has probably been asked before but i cant seem to find the answer.

I'm need to make my forum available to members only as the information posted will be of a sensitive nature. Is this possible, please help a newby,

My forum can be found at
    http://www.machineguarduk.com/vbulletin

1. Admin CP -> Change Options -> User and registration options -> Enable Access Masks = "Yes"

2. Admin CP -> User Groups and Permissions -> Modify -> Unregistered / Not logged in -> Can view board = "No"
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Wow

Thanks smachol for such a quick response, what a great service you all provide here..

Comment

Just for clarification, does this apply to the entire bulletin board or to each forum (one at a time) on the board? Also, is it possible to make the entire BB private except for one forum that non-members can read but not post to? Thanks.

Donnal

Comment

You can set the default usergroup permissions, then modify these to something else for any forum you want.

(Donnal, could you please put your customer info into your user profile? Only the vB Mods/Admins will see this and it will save us a lot of time. See my sig for details. Thanks.(
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Please pardon, I didn't realize this was a closed forum. I am not yet a customer, but I registered in order to learn a bit more about vBulletin before making a purchase decision. BTW I am a member of a vBulletin forum on my present hosting service and have been much impressed, but I still have a few questions such as the one I just posted. The user group permissions setup you just described is superior to that of many alternative packages that I have been looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by donnal
              Please pardon, I didn't realize this was a closed forum.
              Oh, it's not. Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish. The license info in profile is just a way to curb giving support to pirates.

Comment

Hi folks - new owner here, and a very happy one!

I have a similar question question pertaining to users and granting special forum permissions. I've read the user manual and played around a bit with the cp, but I just can't seem to get this right:

scenario:

3 forums:

#1 general, open to all registered users

#2 moderators forum, mods only

#3 study group, open to only those who email me separately and are granted permission manually by me (they will automatically have permission to #1 by virtue of registration.)

Numbers 1 and 2 are easy enough to make automatic, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make #3 a "Group" that has access to two different forums (1 and 3). Where do I edit the user or the group, to make them a group of 1 AND 3?

-Pam

Comment

You'd just create a new usergroup and make sure it has access to both forums. Then you can just move the users to that group.

Alternatively, you could use access masks and grant users permission to view this forum individually (users -> find -> enter criteria -> [edit access masks]; make sure you have them enabled in your options!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                    [B]You'd just create a new usergroup and make sure it has access to both forums. Then you can just move the users to that group.
                    That's what I'd prefer to do...but that's what I"m confused about. At the control panel> user groups and permissions>modify>study group form - it doesn't allow me specify WHICH forums these attributes are setting for.

Thank you for the quick response!

Comment

Hi Pam,
                      You want to look down a bit more - Usergroups & Permissions > Modify Forums. There you can set permissions for each group per forum. Very helpful.

Comment

ahhh, that works. I LOVE this software. So do my members (transitioning over from Delphi)

thank you SO MUCH!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X