A Couple of Quick Stupid Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Couple of Quick Stupid Questions

1) I have two users groups called "Donors" and "Non-Donors". During times of heavy traffic, I turn "View" off for the Non-Donors group. Is there a better way to to this? Is this creating unnecessary overhead since VB has to manage rejections with its logon applet? Most importantly; WHY do these (unable to view) users STILL show up on the logged-in users list on the main page?? Is this because technically they are logged on but are being stopped at the logon screen? If it is, can I change a template or something so they don't show up at all? Anybody know of a better way to control access than with VB's logon? It's a remote Linux box.

2) After 5 months, I give up. What the heck do the *'s beside logged-on users mean on the main page??? LOL

Oh yea... Where is number 2 documented? Not trying to be smart here, I really want to know. I can't find anything about it anywhere!

Thanks folks!
    Last edited by LearningMan; Sat 28 Jul '01, 4:46am.

#2 -- the *s mean the user is logged on in invisible mode (it's an option in their profile). Regular users cannot see them, but as admin, you can and it shows the * to let you know they are invisible to others. Not sure where it's documented. I just learned it hanging around here.
    Free World Leader of the Internationally Renowned Militant Breastfeeding Cult.
    Are you a Proud Member?
    http://www.MilitantBreastfeedingCult.com/

Comment

mbcguru:

THANKS! That makes sense. At least now I know. I had noticed that with my non-admin test accounts that I didn't see them but I just couldn't put two and two together.

Comment

During times of heavy traffic, I turn "View" off for the Non-Donors group. Is there a better way to to this? Is this creating unnecessary overhead since VB has to manage rejections with its logon applet?
        There's really no other way to manage it -- vB is the only program that would understand their groupings and permissions.

WHY do these (unable to view) users STILL show up on the logged-in users list on the main page?? Is this because technically they are logged on but are being stopped at the logon screen? If it is, can I change a template or something so they don't show up at all?
        That's correct. And it's nothing something that can be controlled by a template -- you'd need to do some hacking such that users in group X when group X has no canview permissions aren't visible in the currently online users count.

Comment

Thank you so much Ed. That's what I wanted to know (but not necessarily what I wanted to hear! LOL).

Think we could make a trigger on "No View" users on the list through CP in a future release? Just a thought.

Thanks for a GREAT product. Your product saved our forum. It was absolutely choking on UBB.

Comment

One more if I may while I'm on a roll... Why do I show "Guests" on the Active Users List when I have totally disallowed access unless one is logged in? Have I missed turning something off somewhere?

Comment

the currently active users count does not discriminate... yet? ed?

Comment

Thanks Jake... Please elaborate. I'm not sure I understand.

Comment

The only way we can establish someone's presence is with a session.
                  The counter counts the number of sessions currently active.

So someone who's unregistered hits your page, gets a session, and is promptly locked out. But they still have a session.

Comment

Gotcha guys. Thanks!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X