Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

I'm having some difficulties locating this config.php file. I can only find the config.php.new file. Which does not at all contain any of the information i am supposed to see in it.

So where is this?
    so what's new?

For installation support you need to enter your license info into your User profile. If you have any questions, click on the link in my sig. Thanks!
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

What version of vBulletin are you running? Your profile says "none".
      Rob

Comment

Sorry

I wasn't too certain about whether or not this is all that secure, you know.

My fault... so can i please get some support here now?
        so what's new?

Comment

There is no config.php file (to protect you from over-writing this file during upgrades.)

What you need to do copy the config.php.new file to config.php, then edit it to your specific situation. In particular you need to set this up with your username, databasename, and database password. Unless your mySQL database in on a different server, leave the server variable set to 'localhost'.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

What?!

I'm lost... very lost.

UBB was sooooo easy.

That i could atleast understand.

You basically want me to rename config.php.new to config.php right?

Sooo saaay. What exactly should i add in there. Because it really doesn't say what teh installation document says i am supposed to find in there.
            so what's new?

Comment

Does your config.php.new file look like this?

PHP Code:
              <?php
              /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
              // Please note that if you get any errors when connecting, //
              // that you will need to email your host as we cannot tell //
              // you what your specific values are supposed to be        //
              /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// type of database running
              // (only mysql is supported at the moment)
              $dbservertype="mysql";

// hostname or ip of server
              $servername="localhost";

// username and password to log onto db server
              $dbusername="root";
              $dbpassword="";

// name of database
              $dbname="vbdforum";

// allow password viewing / editing in control panel
              // 0 = not visible or editable
              // 1 = not visible, but can be edited
              // 2 = visible and can be edited
              $pwdincp=0;

// technical email address - any error messages will be emailed here
              $technicalemail "[email protected]";

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

YEAH!

Yes that's it, i guess. Just that it's all put into 1 single line without the spaces or seperated rows. It's all jumbled into 1 line.

But i noticed that when i paste it into this message box here it takes the correct shape.
                so what's new?

Comment

It sounds like the editor you're using isn't putting in the line feeds.

Anyway you need to edit this file and replace the following variables with your info:

$dbusername
                  $dbpassword
                  $dbname
                  $technicalemail

Then save this file as 'config.php' and upload it (in ASCII) to the 'admin' folder of your forums.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

GooD

Isn't this quite a security hole though. I mean if anybody ever gets access to that file I'd pretty much be *OUCH*. But good, I'll get this all set up.

Say smachol, what's with the name if you absolutely do not mind me asking... i'm just curious ! Sounds oak, very oak.
                    so what's new?

Comment

As for security, permissions aren't supposed to matter with most PHP installations, so it might work if you CHMOD the config.php file permission to 700.

As for the name, nothing quite as exotic as all that I'm afarid. First name is Steve, last name is Machol, hence 'smachol'.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ok!

Why not just go with S.Machol?

Well anyways, thanks for the support Mr.Machol.
                        so what's new?

Comment

Heck, when I first registered on this board I was just used to using 'smachol' as a user name. Bad habit I picked up in the early days of the 'Net I suppose.

If it makes you feel better, I use 'Steve Machol' on my own forum though!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hehe

Certainly does.

Just kind of funny what you can actually do with this name. Smac'hol or S.Mac.Ho'l... put some ebonix on it .
                            so what's new?

Comment

PHP files are parsed by the server and therefore unless someone had access to your files via telnet or FTP they would not be able to see the contents of config.php.

For example, go the config.php for this forum - http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/admin/config.php - and it'll load a blank screen.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X