Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!! About to be bombed with visitors!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! About to be bombed with visitors!!

I'm going to be the web page of the week on one of the top video game sites on the internet this week, so to help knock down bandwidth, I want to turn off Avatars and not allow uploads/attachments, and then bring them back in a week. My question is, will all the avatars and attachments still be here after I set it back to allowing them again?

Any tips for knocking bandwidth down? I just changed 'GZIP compression level' to the max of 9.

I can upgrade my site to allow a gig of bandwidth a day.
    Public Domain Content
    Amazon/Webmaster Services

gzip at 1, not 9! the CPU load at level 9 is enormous and provides very little benefit over level 1.

not sure about the avatars.

Comment

Jake is right - leave gzip at 1. Any more than that is a waste.

As for the Avatars and attachments, any that are in the database now will still be there when you turn these options back on later.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

i have my gzip setting at 9 and have no problems.....though my forum isn't large enough to worry about bandwidth, but what gzip setting would be the best settings........

Comment

Just set it to 1. Any more than this is a waste of systems resources and provides very little benefit.

Also, would you please update your User profile with your license info? Thanks.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

*delete this*
            Public Domain Content

Comment

Re: Help!! About to be bombed with visitors!!

Originally posted by Nintendo
              I'm going to be the web page of the week on one of the top video game sites on the internet this week, so to help knock down bandwidth, I want to turn off Avatars and not allow uploads/attachments, and then bring them back in a week. My question is, will all the avatars and attachments still be here after I set it back to allowing them again?

Any tips for knocking bandwidth down? I just changed 'GZIP compression level' to the max of 9.

I can upgrade my site to allow a gig of bandwidth a day.
              you might want to

1. turn off sigs as well
              2. create a light template set with all text message buttons and forum text menus instead of images..
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Nintendo,

How did it go? I assume this is now in the past since your original message was on July 23rd.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

obviously got an answer and just left without a thank you, i changed my gzip to 1, see how that goes, thanks for the heads up........and what info u need me to enter.....

Comment

Darkman,

See my sig for details. Just go into your User CP -> Edit Profile, and add with your customer number and password. This information won't be viewable to anyone but vB Mods and Admins. Thanks.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      How did it go? I assume this is now in the past since your original message was on July 23rd.
                      Even with the changes, the web host shut the boards down for awhile because of server load (shared server)!! After that I quickly got a dedicated server with ev1. I got about 100 new members a day from that!!!
                      Public Domain Content

Comment

Wow! A reply three-and-a-half years later?? Hope no one was waiting up for this... lol.

So you ended up getting a dedicated server? Cool. Like they say, "necessity is the mother of upgrading."
                        ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

My site quickly outgrew itself in less than 1 yr. so I had to go dedicated myself. Its expensive...but it does help alot. Now I'm starting to find ways to try and compensate SOME of the costs. I'm not fond of banner ads because I know most people won't click on them. Any ideas out there? I'm working on opening a CafePress store though, that may help a small bit.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X