Possible UBB Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible UBB Conversion

Hi all. I may be moving my www.80sxchange.com community to a new host. I've gone over 10gigs of bandwidth per month and my current host can't host it anymore. But, with this hassle comes opportunity. I bought a vBulletin license and the new host I'm looking at (futurequest.com) has PHP4 and MySQL. So, if I go ahead and do this, would anyone be willing to help me with the conversion and installation?

Thanks in advance,

Sal C.
    www.80sxchange.com
    www.deerparkavenue.com
    Last edited by Sal Collaziano; Fri 20 Jul '01, 4:29pm.
    My vBulletin Forums:
    cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

I've just moved from UBB 5 to VB 2 - start by searching the installation forum here for threads with UBB in them and read all the previous questions and answers.

I converted at pair.com but considered moving to venturesonline.com for my shared hosting.

You need to either convert where you are and move the VB database or move the UBB files and convert when you get there. Personally it's probably easier to move a database than a complex structure of flat files unless you are a whiz with UNIX file commands.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. While I'm here, I might as well mention that there is no MySQL or PHP4 where I am now - that's why I never converted to vBulletin in the first place. It does sound kind of important to convert while I'm still there, though. But, I would imagine this is impossible. Oh, it's never easy. Is it?
      My vBulletin Forums:
      cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

While we're at it, I might as well ask. What would somebody charge me to do this kind of thing? vBulletin install and UBB 6 import. I'd rather not play around with it myself - it's really important to me that it's done right and this just isn't one of those things I have a lot of luck with...
        My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

Hey Sal! LiveDaily sure misses you.

vB does imports for free, in a sense; all you do is download the UBB import script, configure a few things, and let it run.

The vB installation is very easy; I was a relative newbie to php and MySQL and I had no problems installing at all. You download the vB 2.0.1 from the members area, upload the vB files to your server, and call up the setup file in your browser. After creating your admin username and implementing colors, etc, you're all done.

I would be glad to help with any problems you may have. I can certainly give some tips about controlling the pesky HUGE font sizes.
          lilymud.com - up and running July 15th, 2001!

Cotton Candy Blue | vB Original | Glassy | Green Lily | Blue & Gray | Turquoise & Black | Dust

Comment

Yes, you must have PHP and MySQL on the server to run the import scripts.

So you need to move your UBB files first, you do not need to move the UBB software.

If you hunt around the InfoPop site - there is a page explaining how to move a UBB board from one server to another including the "tar" commands.

Essentially:

1 - Close the UBB board
            2 - Telnet in and "tar" up the UBB forum directories and member directories (see IP's instructions).
            3 - FTP to the new server from your telnet session (that does a server to server connection for speed) and send the tar files over (binary).
            4 - Telnet to the new server and extract the tar files that you have just sent over.
            5 - Install VB on new server.
            6 - Install and run the import scripts.

You don't need to worry about getting UBB working on the new site, just getting the data files there should do it.

Comment

Hey all. Thanks again for these replies. And I miss LiveDaily too! Now that I have my PC at home (just brought it home the other day) I will get some more time to visit.

Otherwise, someone email me with an offer to do the whole thing for me - UBB move and vBulletin installation. When the time is right, I'll send 'em an email and hopefully they'll have the time.
              My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

Ill be happy to help...if you still need it that is...I sent you an e-mail like you asked, let me know... you can contact me at one of many IM names or at [email protected]

Comment

Thank you very much! I'll keep your offer in mind!
                  My vBulletin Forums:

...can't fit any more...

Comment

I could do it. Free of course, I love to help.

Time is not a problem, being 14 and a homebody there isn't much else that would present schedule-clogging issues.

If you like, you can check out my boards through the links below if you're skeptical.

Cotton Candy Blue | vB Original | Glassy | Green Lily | Blue & Gray | Turquoise & Black | Dust

Comment

lol a bunch of teenagers with to much time

Comment

Can't be too serious when they can't get their to, too, & two's right..

Comment

lol most of the time that im on it at 3 in the morring...so I dont get too worried about my too, to or two's

Comment

As am I. ~ 12 - 6 AM to be exact.

Comment

Sal, I'm hosted on FutureQuest too. If you haven't gotten the help you needed you might post on the FutureQuest forums. Many of us who post there have done the convert from UBB to vB, so if you post in the "contract or be contracted" forum, you will more then likely find someone to help you (who isn't a teenager).

Kara

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X