identical user names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• identical user names?

It looks like it's possible for multiple people to register with the same user name. Or at least, I can edit someone's account and change their username to one that's already taken, and don't receive any kind of warning.

Is that a bug, or by design? Seems like a bad idea to me...

It is possible yes, but I believe only if you have the options set to allow it. Check Admin CP > Options > Registration options and there should be one about duplicate usernames.

Comment

I could just be blind, but I don't see an option that looks like it does that. There's one for unique email addresses, but not for unique usernames.

Comment

Well, you can only do it via the CP, so it was just something that wasn't actually taken into account.

Comment

Yes it is impossible for a User to register with a username that is already taken, however you as the admin can change someone's username to that.

Comment

That's okay I s'pose... but it still seems odd. Especially since I bet I could set two people's usernames and passwords to be the same thing, and then what might happen? Suggestion for the next version would be to make sure that's impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by endquote
              That's okay I s'pose... but it still seems odd. Especially since I bet I could set two people's usernames and passwords to be the same thing, and then what might happen? Suggestion for the next version would be to make sure that's impossible.
              I will try that

Comment

I've just been caught out with the same 'problem' with my vb v2.2 implementation.

I had two pairs of users with the same username. When the newest users try to login, their username/password pair were denied because (I think) that vB was trying to look for the password of the first matching username it found (ie. the old/original ones).

Likewise, I could find nothing in the Admin CP that explicitly blocked a new users from registering the same username as an existing user.

Definitely a hole that needs plugging, IMO.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X