[RELEASE] Usenet Gateway for vB 2.01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm nearly there!
    I've made some additions to the installation for other W2K/ActivePerl users, which (once everything works) I'll post here.

My guess at "Date-Manip" in PPM was the wrong package to install. Turns out the right one is "TimeDate", and not Date-Manip.

Comment

Originally posted by James Cridland
      I'm nearly there!
      I've made some additions to the installation for other W2K/ActivePerl users, which (once everything works) I'll post here.

My guess at "Date-Manip" in PPM was the wrong package to install. Turns out the right one is "TimeDate", and not Date-Manip.
      Glad you're getting there. If you don't mind I'll include your ActiveState instructions with the package once you've got it all going. I'll also see if there's any other way of checking for an existing instance without using grep that will work on both Unix and Win32. In the meantime, you'll just have to comment it out.
      http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

Here's the additional stuff, which you can include in any future releases. The numbers at the beginning are the original installation notes. I hope it's useful.

Initial thoughts are, certainly when using news.btinternet.com (my local ISP), that newnews.pl is very slow in grabbing new messages - typically up to 90 seconds per message. For this reason, I'm currently setting it to run once a day. Is this about right?

It strikes me that running a local news server would speed this process up; is there a suitable freeware news server available somewhere?

This is a brilliant addition; now in use (though not extensively) at http://forums.mediauk.com/

1. [Installing the modules]
        WIN32/ActivePerl: To install these, type "PPM" into a command box. Then, type:
        install News-NNTPClient
        install NetServer-SMTP
        install DBD-Mysql
        install Text-Autoformat
        install TimeDate
        install MIME-tools
        install URI-Find

3. [Running the sql scripts]
        WIN32: To run these using mysql: type "mysql" at the command prompt. Then, type:
        connect vbfor [where vbfor is the name of your database]
        source vB_sql_structure.sql
        source vB_sql_data.sql

8. [Editing newnews.pl]
        WIN32: Comment out line 53 - line 67.

Running:
        WIN32: Set up a shortcut (either on your desktop or in your start menu) to point to: "perl c:\path\newnews.pl"
        Then, use Scheduler (Start|Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Scheduled Tasks) to run this program at specified times.

Comment

Originally posted by James Cridland
          Initial thoughts are, certainly when using news.btinternet.com (my local ISP), that newnews.pl is very slow in grabbing new messages - typically up to 90 seconds per message. For this reason, I'm currently setting it to run once a day. Is this about right?
          90 seconds is most definately NOT about right. It shouldn't even take that long for a full batch of 200 or 300. try putting some debugging lines in the code to see exactly where it goes wrong.

Comment

Well, I might need your help here...

I'll have a play tomorrow.

Comment

ok Paul got first upgrade done, this oneusenet_gateway_v20010714__201.tar.gz

But I forgot a step it said to write down the useragent setting and then put back in, well I forgot, now that I look for it can not find anyway, first where is it and second what can I do now since I forgot it?

Joey

Update fixed
              Last edited by express; Mon 30th Jul '01, 9:03am.
              Real Web Host

Comment

Originally posted by webhost
                ok Paul got first upgrade done, this oneusenet_gateway_v20010714__201.tar.gz

But I forgot a step it said to write down the useragent setting and then put back in, well I forgot, now that I look for it can not find anyway, first where is it and second what can I do now since I forgot it?
                Update fixed
                Not a big problem. The useragent is used to identify posts on usenet that originated from your forums. The main use is to grab the NNTP server assigned message id for local posts and update the post in the forum.

If no posts were sent to usenet during your very last execution of newnews.pl, you will have no problems. If there was a post sent, then that post will never have it's message id updated and will not get any replies.

So, your best bet is to just pick another useragent (usually your site name) and forget about it.

Comment

ok all upgrades done. I am now current.
                  One question though I need some help with. Never messed with the bbcode's, How do I install those for replacement's q1,q2,q3, I made replacement variables but I know that probably is wrong because they are not working. Can someone direct me a little on this?
                  Real Web Host

Comment

Yes, this foxed me for a while.

In your control panel, choose "Replacement Variables" and "add" - then fill in below as follows...

Replacement set: [your normal style]
                    Code to find: [q1]
                    Code to insert: &nbsp;&nbsp;<font size="1" color="blue">

Replacement set: [your normal style]
                    Code to find: [/q1]
                    Code to insert: </font>

...and similar for the other two codes.

At least, that's how I did it.

Comment

if you look at image below this what I did for each, I tried
                      [q1] and as you can see also{q1}, which one is right and also the instructions didn't say anything about using a closing bracket like [/q] or {/q1] so which one is right and do I also have to make 3 more variables for closing, 1 for each q1,q2,q3

got it working

Joey
                      Last edited by express; Mon 30th Jul '01, 1:52pm.
                      Real Web Host

Comment

Originally posted by fastforward

90 seconds is most definately NOT about right. It shouldn't even take that long for a full batch of 200 or 300. try putting some debugging lines in the code to see exactly where it goes wrong.
                        Well, after a lot of fiddling...

To make a huge increase in the speed, comment out (with the closing brackets, of course):
                        "if ($h = $c->head($mid)) {" (in get_batch)
                        "if($b = $c->body($mid)) {" (just after the check for spam)

Then it speeds along, as you say it should (though it doesn't find any to import at the end...)

So, for this novice perl programmer - presumably "head" and "body" are in a module somewhere, and this module needs reinstalling?

Comment

Thanks for the update Paul! I'm a slow upgrader, but just installed it after skipping several upgrades

Hope you enjoy your vacation!
                          vB Drupal Community Plumbing | vB Survey | vBusy | vB Spell | vBouncer

Comment

[B]if you look at image below this what I did for each, I tried
                            [q1] and as you can see also{q1}, which one is right and also the instructions didn't say anything about using a closing bracket like [/q] or {/q1] so which one is right and do I also have to make 3 more variables for closing, 1 for each q1,q2,q3
                            I don't think you need the closing brackets. It worked fine for me just as in the instructions.

Comment

ok all upgrades done. I am now current.
                              One question though I need some help with. Never messed with the bbcode's, How do I install those for replacement's q1,q2,q3, I made replacement variables but I know that probably is wrong because they are not working. Can someone direct me a little on this?
                              Oh, I think I know your problem, since you mentioned you never added bbcodes before.

Make sure you enter the example part

delete the [ / q ] , and just add them as in the install doc.

in the example just put [q1] test [/q1]

Could that be it?

Comment

Bug in the subject line:

If there is a "$" in the subject of a new thread (as in "Pentium III 733, $750!", the newnews script will fail.
                                http://racing.kos.net
                                http://www.rumour.com/

Comment