[RELEASE] Usenet Gateway for vB 2.01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hope you had a nice holiday mate

The new code is performing wonderfully. Thankyou very much.

However, a small parsing/dellimeting error :
    Code:
    Query failed:
    INSERT IGNORE INTO usenet_outgoing(poster,email,signature,newsgroup,subject,body,threadid,postid)
    VALUES ('Mic Murph','[email protected]',,'ibmpub.java.os390','Access
    to Environment Variables from JNI native code','A while back, I developed a Java & C/C++ native wrapper for our company\'s
    data management product (tableBASE). We\'re running on
    OS/390 MVS V2R8 using JDK 1.1.8 under USS. \r\n\r\nThe Java 
    wrapper statically loads the C/C++ class when it is instantiated. 
    \r\n\r\nIn the C/C++ native routine, I used a "fetch()" library call 
    to locate the function pointer to a HLASM routine, which is stored 
    in a pre-existing MVS namespace in a PDS(not PDSE) link-editted load library. \r\n\r\nI used the "STEPLIB" environment variable in my BASH script to refer to the two load libraries that had the 
    HLASM stub and the additional overlays that it calls. \r\n\r\nNote that this results in a HLASM call wrapped in a C/C++ JNI native
     method wrapped in a Java class. We used this approach since 
    the HLASM interface is well known by our customer base. \r\n\r\nI set up an RMI-distribution for the Java wrapper using a BASH 
    script to set/export various environment variables. We\'ve been 
    experimenting with different client architectures, such as 
    servlet/JSP, standalone application over RMI etc. \r\n\r\nThe 
    setup works and is pretty speedy, considering we\'re still using 
    the May 2000 edition of the 1.1.8 JDK. \r\n\r\nNow, we\'re 
    starting to scale up for productionalize by running the JNI 
    wrapper from within a servlet in WebSphere 3.02. And when we 
    run the servlet, the Java wrapper class is able to load the C/C++ 
    native wrapper OK. \r\n\r\nThe problem is that the C 
    program\'s "fetch" of our HLASM load library fails, as if it\'s not finding our STEPLIB environment variable. \r\n\r\nMy understanding is that WAS inherits any environment variable 
    settings from the HTTP 5.2 server config (in /etc/httpd.envvars). \r\nThis is where we\'ve put both our LIBPATH entry (for our 
    native .SO DLL which is being found by the loader) and our 
    STEPLIB variable (for our HLASM load library which apparently 
    ISN\'T being found). \r\n\r\nI\'d prefer not to have to use 
    the "setenv()" library calls to set/get the environment variables 
    from my C/C++ native routine.\r\n\r\nAny suggestions? \r\n\r\nThanks, Michael Murphy \r\n\r\nP.S. This is actually a cross-
    post from the new forum/portal "www.mainframeforum.com".  
    Check it out!',30239,83853)

DBD::mysql::db do failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax 
    near ''ibmpub.java.os390','Access to Environment Variables from 
    JNI native code','A wh' at line 1 at www/admin/newnews.pl line 
    596, <SOCK3> line 2.

welcome back

Last edited by george_proost; Wed 25 Jul '01, 5:28am.

Comment

Help

I really need some help here please

Need some help everything was working great than all of sudden my usenet posts where being added to my board post's . I had but the option in to avoid this but for some reason it quit working, when I purge usenet groups the board and the thread count along with usenet counts decrease. This is how I have it in forums/index.php file, also why would purging timeout before finishing? here;s what I have Found it had to remove lines in bold below.

// get total posts
      $countposts=$DB_site->query_first('SELECT COUNT(*) AS posts FROM post');
      $totalposts=$countposts['posts'];
      if ($totalposts=='') {
      $totalposts=0;
      }

// START USENET HACK //
      $countthreads=$DB_site->query_first('SELECT COUNT(*) AS threads FROM thread WHERE isusenetpost=0');
      // END USENET HACK //

$countthreads=$DB_site->query_first('SELECT COUNT(*) AS threads FROM thread');
      $totalthreads=$countthreads['threads'];
      if ($totalthreads=='') {
      $totalthreads=0;
      }

// START USENET HACK //
      $countusenetposts=$DB_site->query_first('SELECT COUNT(*) AS posts FROM post WHERE isusenetpost=1');
      $totalusenetposts=$countusenetposts['posts'];
      if ($totalusenetposts=='') {
      $totalusenetposts=0;}
      $countusenetthreads=$DB_site->query_first('SELECT COUNT(*) AS threads FROM thread WHERE isusenetpost=1');
      $totalusenetthreads=$countusenetthreads['threads'];
      if ($totalusenetthreads=='') {
      $totalusenetthreads=0;}
      // END USENET HACK
      // Total Thread Views

// get newest member
      Last edited by express; Fri 27 Jul '01, 3:45am.
      Real Web Host

Comment

I will clean this up and show what I have done and where I am at.

First I still have first hack installed, Haven't upgraded yet.

Hack had been working fine until today.

I had earlier set up the option where the usenet posts would not count against the board total all had been going well for the last couple of months. Today I look and the board post count had the usenet count added to it also the thread count. I looked over script placement and it was correct according to the instructions. I went to my database and sure enough all board post and usenet posts showed up in the post table all 23,000 of them. So I went to the control panel and first I purged all of the newsgroups; post's came down when I did this both for board post and also for usenet post's. After this was complete I updated all counters. I still had some newsgroups showing contents even though I had just purged all of them. So I went to that forum and pruned them and them updated counters. I went back to the usenet section of the control panel and all newsgroups showed zero. I went back to board and even though I had just zeroed out everything in the usenet control panel; On the board it was still showing 181 posts and the board total was high by that number 181. I went back to the database post table and sure enough there were 181 usergroup post's still there. I then went and ran a test on 3 newsgroups and reactivated them, Information came in and same thing they are adding to my main board total.
        First any ideas what is doing this?
        Second what is the easiest way to remove those 181 post's in the post table?

Any help would be Welcomed. Have working again just need to know why the posts would not delete when the rest did and how to accomplish removing them?

Thanks Joey
        Last edited by express; Fri 27 Jul '01, 3:47am.
        Real Web Host

Comment

This hack looks just incredible, and I'm excited about getting it to work.

I'm having problems installing the perl modules, reporting an error...
          Checking if your kit is complete...
          Looks good
          Writing Makefile for Text::Autoformat
          -- OK
          Running make test
          'test' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
          operable program or batch file.
          test -- NOT OK
          Running make install
          make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
          I'm using Windows 2000 running ActivePerl - should I stop now, or should I persevere?

Comment

keep it up

I run on linux ... the hack is really great.

Keep on going at it till you get it right.
            USENET-Gateway : is the most important hack for me.

Second hack is the overgrow archive hack... although I have my reservations about the effectiveness. I have made some changes which I'll release when I'm done, it'll be called <overgrows positively enhanced referral attractor> still needs a bit of final display work.

archive.mainframeforum.com

Some enhancements:
            -Displays only levels with content allowing spiders to navigate faster, cleaner and always with something to digest.
            -Employs text sizing, highlighting etc.. to attract spiders. They see the important stuff right away.

Comment

Re: hope you had a nice holiday mate

Originally posted by george_proost
              The new code is performing wonderfully. Thankyou very much.

However, a small parsing/dellimeting error :
              Code:
              Query failed:
              INSERT IGNORE INTO usenet_outgoing(poster,email,signature,newsgroup,subject,body,threadid,postid)
              VALUES ('Mic Murph','[email protected]',,'ibmpub.java.os390','Access
              to Environment Variables from JNI native code','A while back, I developed a Java & C/C++ native wrapper for our company\'s
              data management product (tableBASE). We\'re running on
              OS/390 MVS V2R8 using JDK 1.1.8 under USS. \r\n\r\nThe Java 
              wrapper statically loads the C/C++ class when it is instantiated. 
              \r\n\r\nIn the C/C++ native routine, I used a "fetch()" library call 
              to locate the function pointer to a HLASM routine, which is stored 
              in a pre-existing MVS namespace in a PDS(not PDSE) link-editted load library. \r\n\r\nI used the "STEPLIB" environment variable in my BASH script to refer to the two load libraries that had the 
              HLASM stub and the additional overlays that it calls. \r\n\r\nNote that this results in a HLASM call wrapped in a C/C++ JNI native
               method wrapped in a Java class. We used this approach since 
              the HLASM interface is well known by our customer base. \r\n\r\nI set up an RMI-distribution for the Java wrapper using a BASH 
              script to set/export various environment variables. We\'ve been 
              experimenting with different client architectures, such as 
              servlet/JSP, standalone application over RMI etc. \r\n\r\nThe 
              setup works and is pretty speedy, considering we\'re still using 
              the May 2000 edition of the 1.1.8 JDK. \r\n\r\nNow, we\'re 
              starting to scale up for productionalize by running the JNI 
              wrapper from within a servlet in WebSphere 3.02. And when we 
              run the servlet, the Java wrapper class is able to load the C/C++ 
              native wrapper OK. \r\n\r\nThe problem is that the C 
              program\'s "fetch" of our HLASM load library fails, as if it\'s not finding our STEPLIB environment variable. \r\n\r\nMy understanding is that WAS inherits any environment variable 
              settings from the HTTP 5.2 server config (in /etc/httpd.envvars). \r\nThis is where we\'ve put both our LIBPATH entry (for our 
              native .SO DLL which is being found by the loader) and our 
              STEPLIB variable (for our HLASM load library which apparently 
              ISN\'T being found). \r\n\r\nI\'d prefer not to have to use 
              the "setenv()" library calls to set/get the environment variables 
              from my C/C++ native routine.\r\n\r\nAny suggestions? \r\n\r\nThanks, Michael Murphy \r\n\r\nP.S. This is actually a cross-
              post from the new forum/portal "www.mainframeforum.com".  
              Check it out!',30239,83853)

DBD::mysql::db do failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax 
              near ''ibmpub.java.os390','Access to Environment Variables from 
              JNI native code','A wh' at line 1 at www/admin/newnews.pl line 
              596, <SOCK3> line 2.

welcome back

I've just encountered this error myself. It happens when a post is made that has the 'show signature' option unchecked. I'll post a fix later tonight.
              http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

chiming in

to say thank you so very much, fastforward. this hack is extremely valuable, and I am thrilled to have it working on my board.

i look forward to your future contributions.

best wishes,
                J

KALLISTI - currently
                under extreme construction

www.kdpublish.com

Comment

Re: chiming in

Originally posted by JenniferS
                  to say thank you so very much, fastforward. this hack is extremely valuable, and I am thrilled to have it working on my board.

i look forward to your future contributions.

best wishes,
                  J
                  Jennifer, I checked out your site, looks interesting tho' I'm still not clear on the main topic or purpose of the site...but I got I guess it was probably javascript error on the first thing I clicked.

You also may like to know that putting the cursor over your ip icon displays <!--Template IP code etc.. --> probably bad alt tag or else a missing quote somewhere..

Comment

i'm broken

i still have the system spitting out template identification comments which may or may not have been responsible for your javascript dead end.

which is to say, sorry you couldn't get in, and, my purpose is: knowledge accumulation.

KALLISTI - currently
                    under extreme construction

www.kdpublish.com

Comment

I don't think it was javascript as I looked back. I think you have a quotes problem. Either you didn't close a quote, or maybe you have some code in phpinclude and mistakenly had something like

Code:
                      $variable="<font "Times New Roman">Words</font>"
                      and that messed up the code....if that's the case, to fix it try
                      Code:
                      $variable="<font 'Times New Roman'>Words</font>"
                      instead.

Comment

Bugfix!

Release 20010729 fixes two problems with newnews.pl.
                        • Fixed SQL error when post is made with signature set to not be shown.
                        • Fixed posting time for local posts made in usenet forum. The nntpdateline was being shown as 1969.

To upgrade, you just need to replace your existing newnews.pl with the one in this package.

The latest version of this hack will always be in this first post of the thread.

Comment

Installing this on an ActivePerl build for Windows 2000.

So far, I've managed to get further installing the modules. ActivePerl uses PPM modules. To install, type "PPM" into a command box, then type "install [package name]".

Which is where I've managed pretty well, until the last three. Package names differ slightly, but this is what I've installed so far, with their CPAN equivalent names...

cpan> install News::NNTPClient
                          News-NNTPClient

cpan> install Net::SMTP
                          NetServer-SMTP

cpan> install DBD::mysql::Install
                          DBD-Mysql

cpan> install Text::Autoformat
                          Text-Autoformat

cpan> install Date::Parse
                          Date-Manip

cpan> install MIME::Tools
                          MIME-tools

cpan> install URI::Find
                          URI-Find

cpan> install MIME::WordDecoder
                          ?

cpan> install HTML::Entities
                          ?

cpan> install Mail::Address
                          ?

...and as you can see, I'm stuck with the last three. I'm still persevering, and I hope this is useful to some who are trying to install it on my kind of setup (ActivePerl, Apache, Win2000).

Until then, I've found a script which offers both read and write functionality just through PHP - check out http://forums.mediauk.com/usenet/ for a demonstration and a link to the source. However, it doesn't use mySQL or indeed any database structure (probably quite easy to patch for a programmer who knows what they're doing, mind.)

It would make more sense, to this user at least, to have a fully native PHP solution rather than having to use Perl: since, as I understand it, all the necessary code's already in PHP.

Comment

I am currently using this version 20010528,

What do I need to do to upgrade just upload the newnews.pl or more?
                            Real Web Host

Comment

Originally posted by webhost
                              I am currently using this version 20010528,

What do I need to do to upgrade just upload the newnews.pl or more?
                              There's other changes since that version. There's also aditional modules that are needed. The best bet is to download the interim packages upgrade in order.
                              usenet_gateway_v20010714__201.tar.gz
                              usenet_gateway_v20010721__201.tar.gz
                              Then finally, do the latest upgrade from this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by James Cridland
                                cpan> install MIME::WordDecoder
                                ?
                                cpan> install HTML::Entities
                                ?
                                cpan> install Mail::Address
                                ?

...and as you can see, I'm stuck with the last three. I'm still persevering, and I hope this is useful to some who are trying to install it on my kind of setup (ActivePerl, Apache, Win2000).
                                Activestate provide ports for all of these
                                WordDecoder is part of the MIME-Tools package.
                                HTML::Entities is part of the HTML-Parser package
                                Mail::Address is part of the MailTools package

I recently changed some of the modules that were being used to ensure that there were ActiveState modules available.

On win32 systems, you will have to comment out the bit that checks for a previous running version near the top of newnews.pl.
                                It would make more sense, to this user at least, to have a fully native PHP solution rather than having to use Perl: since, as I understand it, all the necessary code's already in PHP.
                                There are no native NNTP functions built into php. There is IMAP support (assuming you compiled it with the appropriate options), but that doesn't provide you with full newsreader capabilities. That aside, the reading of the news is actually the easy bit. The main guts of the script deals with news synchonisation & parsing and database access and vB integration. There is no doubt you could write it in PHP, but you wouldn't have the Perl modules to help you. You would also have to install the binary version of php to allow periodic execution of the script.

Comment